3

Today marked a great day for Konohagakure no Sato. It marked the day when their Yondaime Hokage defeated the Kyūbi. Though the beast may have been gone entirely, not everyone accepted that. When Hiruzen had his shinobi spread the news of the disappearance of the mighty fox, some accepted it as they were able to see the difference between the jailer and the prisoner.

The rest, however, which were the majority of the civilians and some Chūnin and a few Jōnin, did not accept it at all. It was them that began to spread the word about Konoha that was cursed as their demon didn't seem to want to leave, no matter what they did.

While the defeat of the Kyūbi was still celebrated, many chose the day to exact revenge on the Curse of Konoha, the Demon Boy. At first, they did nothing too revealing to the young boy, only being able to get away with a few things such as glaring at him, refusing to give him anything or to even look at him.

When he turned three, however, he got thrown out of the orphanage. "Now you're old enough to defend yourself you monster! You also better not tell Hokage-sama about this, or else you would cause him a lot of trouble. He already has so much to do for us, he can't help you as well, filth!" was what the lady told him that had to take care of him for three years. Naruto, being only a three-year-old boy at the time, accepted what he was told and he decided not to give his Jiji any more trouble than he already had.

The old man visited him from time to time, though those visits became less and less as he grew older, all because of him being the Hokage and because of the damage Konoha still had to fix because of the attack three years prior. It caused him great sadness not to be able to see the red-headed boy more, yet he didn't have much of a choice. The village came first and no personal feelings were above that.

No one ever reported anything to him about Naruto being abused in any way, and when he visited the child when he did, Naruto would tell him that everything was okay. Hiruzen knew the young boy was only saying it to help each the mind of the old Kage, only he didn't know that it made him worry more about the young boy. He had put two Chūnin on guard to watch him at all times, not knowing that those two Chūnin hated the boy.

When he ordered Danzo to choose the men to watch over Naruto, he did not know about them hating the boy and seeing him as the Curse of Konoha. Danzo on the other hand, because of him now also disliking the boy because of the loss of the Kyūbi, did not care what happened to him. He had also told his leader to not put Jōnin to watch him because he isn't a Jinchūriki anymore and that they needed manpower to do more missions to help rebuild Konoha to what it once was.

Reluctantly, Hiruzen agreed and did what Danzo advised. He was just hoping that no one was hurting the young red-headed boy, seeing as that no one could or wanted to adopt him after the world-changing new spread. The ones who were close to his parents couldn't take him in because they had children of their own, although the ones who could, did not want to take him in. Hiruzen himself wanted to adopt the boy, only he knew that he would not be able to take care of the boy because of his status as Hokage and because most of his clan had been killed during the Kyūbi attack.

Time passed and eventually, on Naruto's third birthday when he got thrown out of the orphanage, the people who hated the boy began to take more action towards the young boy who began living on the streets. They would refuse to give him anything to eat while throwing him with stones as often as they could.

It came to the point where the young boy never went to sleep without crying himself to sleep. He hated what they were doing to him and never understood why they did what they did. "I've never hurt anyone. Why do they hurt me then and call me those mean things?" was what he asked himself for over a year every night before he fell asleep in a small box that was located in an alleyway behind a dumpster.