Farewell

The Serpent
[Every great evil
has a humble beginning]

19th May 1927
Thursday

"Oh no, you can't do that! Tom needs me!" Katherine raged.
"But it's necessary! They don't have enough people over at the other Orphanage!"
"Then I want to at least take Tom with me! All of you will just let him starve!"
"Nonsense! You can not take the boy! His mother entrusted him to us." 
"I don't think the poor woman was counting on dying! And besides that, she would certainly not have wanted someone like you to raise him!"

Now Miss Penny was also getting angry.  "That's enough now! Tom stays here! He is not your child!"
Miss Penny snapped, and pushed the papers into Katherine's hands.
She took them angrily and stormed out of the office of the director.

They were sending her to the other side of London! And she was to leave the poor boy here!

A carriage would be there in the evening to take her to the other Orphanage.
Evening ...
Furious, she rushed into the room in the attic. She had picked it herself.
There was enough room downstairs, but then she would be next door to all those who she hated!
Up here, it was quiet.
Only the very rare roar of Tom bothered the prevailing peace, but she didn't mind.
Katherine opened her trunk and threw her entire cabinet contents into it.
Little things from the bedside table were also thrown in carelessly.

Tom was still sitting on the bed and looked at Katherine, as she ran across the room angrily. He crawled a little bit forward and then saw a suitcase laying on the floor.
Where was she going this time?

Katherine noticed the slight questioning expression and sat down on the bed.
"I'm not coming back, Tom," she whispered to her little protégé sadly and stroked his head.

Tom still looked at her blankly.
He didn't really care.
Only his subconscious whispered quietly that now one of those incompetent women would take care of him.
Rom  grimaced slightly as he thought of Cole or Miss Penny.
He already had a strong hatred towards these two ladies!
How they always looked at him, or how incompetent they were at dealing with him made the little boy go mad.

Katherine looked at him curiously, Tom's expression changed slightly.
He got wrinkles on his forehead and wrinkled his nose.
However, these changes did not last long, because almost seconds later his expression went blank and the little boy stared at the ground.
Katherine just sighed, grabbed her remaining things almost reluctantly, and then closed her trunk.
A few more hours and the carriage would be there. She was certain that Miss Penny already knew about this for some time!
How could she only tell her today?!
That was really an outrage!
Katherine heaved the heavy suitcase down the many stairs all the way to big front door.
She looked around the hallway and sighed sadly.
The orphanage had really done it for Katherine, and it would be really difficult for her, to leave now.
It had become a something like a home.

Once back in her room, Katherine observed Tom, as he sat on a blanket that she had spread on the ground, and played with some wooden blocks.

"Katherine, the carriage is here!"
Exclaimed Olivia, another carer from downstairs.
Katherine got up from her bed and walked towards Tom with heavy steps.
"I wish you all the best in your life, Tom! For you will accomplish great things one day! You will be a brave, handsome and and charming young man, Tom Marvolo Riddle."
Katherine ran her hand through Tom's silky black hair, picked him up and placed him in his crib, so that nothing happened when he crawled alone on the floor.
Although he so reluctantly moved from his place. ****

"Lilly, you're coming as well? " Katherine asked in astonishment, as well as her Hateful colleague came down the stairs with a suitcase.
"Yes, I also have to go." Lilly wrinkled her nose and then walked out.
Olivia squeezed Katherine, since the two had really gotten along well.
Then she walked out of the big entrance out into the garden of the orphanage where some children were playing.
The thick walls and the iron gate came closer before Katherine got into the carriage.

With one last look at the orphanage the carriage started moving , and Katherine left Wool's Orphanage without knowing that her Wish for Tom would really come true.