Chapter 26

• Dedicated to My Lovely Readers

"Why don't you stay for a while, and we can have a little chat?"

I glanced up at my father's face. He looked ever-so-smug with a sly smirk on his mouth while the guards around him had their guns trained on my friends and I.

"Hm, you know I would, what with all this hospitality," I gestured to the gun pointed at my head, "but darn, I just remembered; I have a hair appointment tonight." 

His smile turned down a bit at my sarcasm before he sighed heavily. 

"Aubrey, this could be very easy. No one has to die or anything, you just need to join us."

Ty's hand was at my elbow, letting me know he was there supporting me. I looked back at him, Marco, and Monica. Everyone looked worried, and I gave them an assuring smile. I was going to get them out alive no matter what.

Facing my father again, I confronted the problem at hand. "But there's this concept that I work well with. It's called free will. I do what I want without being forced into anything. I will never join your little group of murderers. Not while I'm alive."

I stood with my back straight, very confident in what I had said. We could all get out of here and meet back up with Ray, Mr. Tuscan, Nate, and Ms. Lenna.

"Marco," I whispered, "take Monica and run back down this hallway." I handed him the tablet with the map of the building in it. "Get her out. Find everyone else; Ty and I will take care of this and meet you outside."

His eyes widened, but before he could argue I pushed him away as quick as I could, and then he was running with Monica in his arms.

A few of the guards tried to go after them, but I easily kept them back and away from us. There was no way I was letting them hurt my friends.

I threw a sidelong glance at Ty, silently giving him the okay to start attacking them now.

We easily took care of the normal guards that crowded the small hallway, much like how we took care of them earlier on. They weren't that hard to dispose of, and soon enough they were all lying unconscious on the ground with ot without third degree burns.

"What now?" Ty asked breathing hard.

"Now we take him out," I whispered, nodding my head toward my father with a quick jerk of my neck. We both stood side by side and were about to charge my father when I was tackled to the ground by an unseen force.

My head thwacked against the floor painfully; my vision went black for an instant and a sharp wave of pain racked through my head. Ow!

What the hell just happened?

I groaned in pain as Ty kneeled down next to me. "Aubrey?? Are you okay?"

"Ugh, I think so." I tried to get myself up off the floor, but found that something was resting on my back and holding me to the ground. "What's on top of me??"

Ty seemed confused. "There's nothing there."

I tried to get up again and was unsuccessful. I threw my arm backward and it came in contact with something firm and warm. A body.

"Get the fuck off me!" I yelled, and rolled suddenly to the side, knocking whoever it was off of my back. The person grunted from the impact with the ground but didn't turn visible.

Ty reacted quicker than I would have thought possible and tossed a small ball of fire toward the source of the sound. A yelp of pain sounded throughout the hallway, and the perpetrator turned completely visible.

To say that Ty and I were surprised would be a huge understatement.

There stood Nate, visible as the sun.