Prologue: Five Years Ago

I didn't expect myself to be up at 12:48 at midnight, but it was so unexplainable. That was when my life started changing bit by bit. It was changing for the better and the worst.
No left hand amputation yet or drug prescriptions. But that would be in the later years.

I run out of the house breathlessly as soon as I found out. I'll never forget seeing my arm going through the wooden floor. I'm not dead am I? I'm not a ghost because there is no such thing. Then how is it possible that my arm went through the opaque floor without leaving a hole? I got a lot of explaining to do to my mom and my older step-brother.

I don't even know where I'm going, just out of here. Away from my only family. I wish I could come to dad and give him an embrace. But that's just clearly impossible. I guess chasing him from Los Angeles to New York by myself is difficult, even if it means passing through obstacles. One fact about is that he's an abandoner. He left my mom when she was pregnant with me. For my older step-brother it's easy, he doesn't even know that he's adopted. Only my mom and dad and I knew. So that's my life, divorced parents, a brother that cares about nothing, and I also have Type 1 diabetes and asthma.
Everyday, I take pills and inject myself with some drugs I rarely even care about. Doctor's appointments, sharp lancets, emergency rooms, it was awful. I sometimes wish that I could phase through my miseries in life like I did earlier. I stink at life, I admit. Every single thing. I don't have a talent, believe me. Unless breaking things without doing anything counts. I am so untalented that it's almost a talent.
So in my life, everything is half ignored and half difficult to understand. It's like I'm supposed to not care but I have to care. I can't play sports because it's way too dangerous. The only thing I'm capable of is running. Running is the only thing that understands me. The paddling feet and the speed that comes with it. It frees me slightly. But at least I'm free. I am not strong, but I'm a runner. Everyday, before I go to school, I jog across the long stream under the bridge. The one and only place I feel safe in. The sound of the water traveling and the smooth cement I stomp on. No matter how hard I try to form at least an inch of crack or a scratch, it didn't break.
I wish I was as strong as that concrete. Indestructible and unyielding. Good at two things, being strong and being important. And this comes from an imprisoned rat.

There are people in this world who can do the impossible. And I'm not talking about characters from famous novels. This is real life. It all sounds bizarre, but you have to believe me. They are real, and I am one of them. Those people are oblivious, and they walk among us on this planet. They're special, not because of they're abilities. It's because everyone is special. Mother says I'm special, I just didn't know yet.