Chapter 3

Many days have passed and the kids still played outside. It's been a week and a quarter. They're not my neighbors because if they were, I would've met them already. And I have not sighted any U-haul trucks anywhere. Not in the neighborhood. There's something about those youths that gives me the creeps. They are so peculiar. Especially the blonde girl, she could throw multiple pine cones at pigeons all day without missing. And also the tall one with glasses. I saw him talking to a squirrel and it just nodded.

Late at night, I decided to take out the garbage after my mom passed out in the couch. My brother was asleep in his room after finishing two cans of energy drinks, as always. I close the door on his room on my way out. I exit the house and threw the garbage. The next thing I know, they're still playing outside. The six of them. What is wrong with these kids? "Hey!" Their faces shimmer at the lamp post. How gorgeous are their faces, especially the blonde boy. I stare at his emerald eyes, sharp nose, strong jawline, and six straight rows of front teeth. I saw the fear that were in their eyes, but I wasn't so sure about that. More like I found out what their secrets were. Vampires? No. That would sound bizarre.
They clamor against each other. The dark girl ran the fastest, even faster than the dark-haired teenager, like a cheetah. Then the tall one, and the blondes. Lastly, the asian kid ran the slowest. I wasted no more time and ran after him. The bones from my side ache as I jogged. It hurts when I panted. "Ouch!" I yelp.
"Guys, wait for m--!" I cover his mouth right before he finishes his sentence. This is aggressively unhealthy for me, "kidnapping" somebody with the same age as me, running with a broken rib, and more importantly, nobody knew about it.
I leaned and cowered against the fence. I hear them shouting the kid's name, "Ace? Where are you?!" Or it could have been Jace, or Nate. But it wasn't a priority if I knew his name or not. I wrap my two legs around his shins to prevent him from flailing uncontrollably. "Shut up, boy." I whispered in his ear. Moments later, I hear sudden footsteps coming closer and closer. "Ace?" The voice was loud, loud enough for me to hear from twenty feet away.
I rushed myself and stood up, not minding every millisecond of the pain I am experiencing after every step. I trudge as he moaned for help. I have never used this ability for a very long time, mom only told me to use it for emergencies, especially if I get kidnapped. But it looks like I'm the one who's supposed to be accused of kidnapping. I peeked my head through the garage door and walked directly inside. He screams with a muffled voice. Close to a squealing pig.
"Quiet, you fool. We'll get caught and it's going to be your fault!" I said. He pulls my fingers away from his face.
"Let me go, you're the fool!" He echoed.
"Shut up!" I slapped his face and pinned him against the wall. I remove my fake hand from his wet mouth.
"Just let me go, all right?"
"No, not until you tell me what's going on. Who are you? What do you want, huh? Why are you guys so, odd?"
"Odd?" He scoffs. "Said the guy with the bogus body part." His glasses were crooked.
"Fine, let's cut to the chase, shall we?" I said.
"Okay... shake me off and I'll keep talking." He smiles. "So, I could sense that you're hiding something; what is it?" Well, besides the diabetes, asthma, the broken rib, and the limited joy? I'm good.
"What makes you think I'm hiding something?"
"Because you just walked through that door without opening it! Do you think I'm stupid or something or what?"
"Oh my gosh, um... so you promise me you won't tell anyone about this?"
"I'm not promising anything." He said.
"So I guess I should kill you now." Wrong choice of words. I had nothing to say that's why.
"You're no capable of such thing..." I loosen my grip. "and you're not the only one, dude."
"What?"
"I have it too. I'm as powerful as you are. Well, powerful as I am." He's so annoying, I like it.
"Are you playing games with me? Is this some kind of joke?"
"Fine, don't believe me. But listen: There are like, a million of people like us in this world. But they're in a different place. So if you're sick of this environment, you can come with us if you want to." I frown. He's won me over with his look. I believe him. I believe him.
"Where?" I asked. But I was so overwhelmed, I wanted to vomit. And I did, in the trash can. The sounds of my retching detested the kid, but he stayed and petted my back.
"It's okay, let it all out. I got some time."
"It's okay. I'm okay. Just go." I gagged, filling the trash can halfway.
"Sure, if that's what you want." He opens the garage door. "By the way, I'm Ace, an Innate like you." I tossed some more as he closes the door and somersaulted out. This is all too much. But I wanted more information.