Chapter 4

My alarm went off at 5:30, I was half- awake. I could not stop thinking about what Ace said. About the "Innates", the odd behaviors, and the majority of people like us. I wish it were real. I'm sure it was real because I could still smell Ace's signature fragrance, fuji apples and cherry blossom.

I checked my window if they're outside, no sign of enthusiastic youths. So I shook it off, got dressed and had my morning jog under the bridge. I zipped up my green hoodie, put on some sweatpants, and slipped on my running shoes. I took one syringe filled with insulin just in case. I ran out of the house just before everyone awakened.
The dim shade of the bridge looms above me as I jogged. The pain from my ribs reduced as I took every step. Dainty droplets from under the bridge fall on my head when I passed it. It was warm inside, but cool on the outside. Still not feeling safe.
I looked behind me and I sensed somebody else's presence. "Who's there?" I stopped. "Is it you, Ace?" Nothing. I felt a spine-tingling chill running against my back. I ran as fast as I could back to the house. My ribs ached again. I slam the door behind me and got dressed for school.
But I distinctly remembered, Steak comes back today. I wish I could run... oh wait, I can. I will run and skip school. But that doesn't sound like me at all. Sounds like a totally different person with alternative intentions. But no, I need the education more than I need to find those kids.

"Okay. Bye, mom!" I shut the car door and she drives away. I pressed myself against the small tree I always sit by on at the yard. The others call it the,"Blue Tree". Blue for the oblivious loner. Me. I set my backpack down at the shade and waited. I hid behind the old trunk until the bell rang. As the students walked in, the things they did were unexpectedly hurtful.
"Time for class, retard!" A tall girl with a disheveled hairstyle throws a halfway empty iced coffee at me. It wasn't even cold anymore, it was scorching. It made my hair soggy and mushy and my glasses had sticky patches on it. I sniff the substance from my hand, it reeked like a dead moth. My sniffing turned into a stifled sob. The throwing of unusual things resumed. I whimpered as the other students threw cartons of milk at me. Opened.
"Please, stop..." I gasped for air and stood up. The next thing I knew, a football was hurled towards the back of my head. I fell down, obviously. I hated this. I hated them. I hated myself. I am a sponge that absorbs life's malicious reality. My heart sinks down from my chest, escaping my rib cage. It swam all the way to my intestine. Lurking around as if it never belonged in my system. It hurts so badly like your hiccups never go away. I pulled myself up and wasted all my strength to run out of the school without the staff noticing me.
I ran. I just ran, I didn't care where my feet took me. Just away from this misery. Tears rolled faster than my sweat. This world, hostile. Myself, weak. Everything else, just inevitably malevolent...