13- Colors To Desire

ANNA

"Remind me why are we fucking moving away again?" I inquired, peering at my husband's stony expression. Returning from my brief escape on my motorcycle, I was greeted by the sight of our belongings being carted down the stairs, one maid after another in synchronized motion. And not sadly enough those baggages were mine and Jake's. It seemed like my grandmother-in-law I had was following through an investigator who took her order to stalk me and follow me around. Now we had to move out to a new house because my husband had fought with her.

"Stop cursing. And we are moving so we can have a private life. It is much better than having people following you around."

"There is no we in the first place. we already had private lives, how this is going to change anything?"I retorted, frustration evident in my tone.

His silence was deafening, and I felt a surge of irritation. Ignoring him, I grabbed my phone and feigned interest, scrolling through Pinterest. I pinned images of racing motorcycles, my mind drifting to the exhilarating feeling of speed and freedom they represented. Jake's eyes lingered on me, his gaze heavy and intense, as if trying to decipher my thoughts.

I shifted in my seat, crossing one leg over the other, and focused on my phone, tracing the screen's edges with my fingers. My mind wandered to elaborate crime scenes, a distraction from the tension between us. Jake's eyes continued to bore into me, the unspoken words between us growing heavier by the moment.

The limousine came to a stop, followed closely by Keith and Jude's car. I was lost in my thoughts until the car ceased its motion. Without waiting for David to open my door, I stepped out and was immediately struck by the sight of a beautiful fountain. It was the very same fountain that adorned the estate I had purchased using Jake's money. As I gazed up, the grandeur of the estate loomed before me, the castle-like structure seeming to mock my presence.

"What? Won't you invite us to your home?" Jake retorted, rounding the car to join me. "You've spent millions on this estate, haven't you?"

"I thought that money was ours?" I mocked him, a hint of bitterness in my tone.

"Well, it is. Feel free to spend as much fat money as you want," he replied, mocking me in turn as he opened the door. "There is one master bedroom, two bedrooms in the same wing, and ten guest rooms aside. Feel free to take any room you want."

"I will take a guest room,"

"Good," he nodded, his voice carrying an air of familiarity with the estate. "There is a gym in the east wing, along with an art room. The library and the office are in the other wing, where the bedrooms are."

His words flowed smoothly, but I knew he was only scratching the surface of what this house held. As we walked through, I realized how accurately the pictures had captured its essence. The open ceiling windows flooded the interior with natural light, giving it a vibrant, lively feel. I had never paid much attention to the help before, but now I appreciated the care they took in maintaining this place.

The kitchen was a masterpiece, with its open ceiling window overlooking the estate grounds. The beige marble island and sinks contrasted beautifully with the black cabinets, creating a sleek, modern look. Everywhere I looked, the color scheme of black and broken white was punctuated by the green of the plants strategically placed throughout the house, both inside and out. It was a blend of elegance and comfort, a sanctuary from the outside world.

I observed as he confidently made his way to the kitchen, a sense of ownership in his every step. He opened the second cabinet to his left, retrieving a cup with a familiarity that caught me off guard. Even David, who stood by, seemed to defer to his knowledge of the house. It was as though he had been here many times before, and I couldn't help but feel a pang of anger. It seemed now that I had simply taken ownership of something that had always been his.