Awkward Night Ensues

You don't breathe. You don't even dare to move as you look at the sitting creature that was leaning against the tree, with its limp hand still in your daughter's grasp. You wanted to speak to Dawn and tell her to get away from that monster, thing.

But you don't. Because you don't know what to do.

And then the creature growls. You let out a small noise and jump backward, causing the creature to lower its voice and tilt its head like a confused puppy, and the noise it made changed quickly into something that was close to a purr. Almost cat-like but not completely. You think.

The noises it made were very tricky to understand. This also further proved that it, most likely, was incapable of talking. Nonetheless, you try to speak, only to make a small croaking sound for your efforts. You quickly clear your throat, quietly, and try again.

"Are you okay as can be?" you ask in the same tone you used before.

You watch as it tilts its head the other way, then you watch as a white-gloved hand raises a finger and drops it, right on Dawn's hand. Was it tapping?

"He says yes" Dawn says as if she wasn't holding a monster's hand that could break it at any second.

Still, you take a deep breath and mutter "that's good then" you rub the bridge of your nose as you try to think about what you should do next, when you had entered the woods, the sun was barely in the sky, and if you weren't stuck in this creepy black fog thing, you were certain it would be gone with little to no light left.

What the hell can you do with this thing? Leaving it here would most certainly be a death sentence, especially when it lacked a hand and a literal leg to stand on.

"Are you able to stand?" you asked cautiously.

This time the creature did two taps "no" Dawn says.

Well, that explains how she was able to tell if the creature was ready for you lifting the branch, must be a quick learner then. Which could be both good and bad.

For the love of all that is good what were you going to do?

"Mum?" you blink and look at Dawn, who was wearing a worried look on her face "is he coming with us?"

You open your mouth to say something but nothing came out.

"He's hurt mum, we need to help him" she grabs his arm with both hands and leans into him, you almost bolt towards her if it wasn't for the creature looking at her now "we can not leave him here"

We should. Let it die here. Your inner voice screamed as you looked at it with fear. It was wrong, it FELT wrong. It shouldn't be alive in the first place.

But do you really want to upset your child and make her hate you for the rest of both your lives? Because it will happen.

You clench your jaw as you feel the battle between your heart and brain take over. Logically the best idea would be to go away and take your daughter with you and leave the creature to fend for itself.

But your heart, and from what you've been teaching Dawn, was telling you to give the poor thing the benefit of the doubt and show it compassion. Because abandoning the creature in its injured state would make you a hypocrite.

Like your compassion was selective based on appearance. And that was not what you wanted to teach Dawn. Not by a long shot.

You take a deep breath and slowly exhale as you hold the torch out to Dawn "I need you to be my lighthouse, can you do that for me while I hold, him?"

The way her eyes lit up with that wide smile made you silently hope that you were making the right decision.