First Sunrise and Proper Introductions

While you were grateful for having the masks that you never used before. You never want to wear one ever again, they were extremely uncomfortable and sleeping under your cover helped you sleep for a few hours, on and off throughout the night.

How Dawn was able to sleep like this was beyond you. But you were not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. You barely got any sleep because the creature was heavy breathing the entire night, it disturbed you greatly. Not to mention the fact that you were listening for anything bad.

You counted your lucky stars though that he didn't try anything while you were 'sleeping'. From what little you remember last night, the creature just laid in the same spot like a fallen log on a hike path. You would have thought he was dead if it wasn't for his breathing.

You let out a heavy sigh as you remove your sleep mask, noticing the sky was already starting to lighten up from the first rays of the sun. It would have been lovely to look at if it wasn't for the fact that the ceiling light was still on. You were going to have to warn the creature that it might get a little dark when you turn it off.

Slowly pulling yourself out of your warm caccoon, you softly call to him "hey big guy"

His head turns slowly to you, and by heaven and hell did it look even more creepier than last night had been. It was like he was staring into your soul, as if daring you to say something.

"I need to turn the light off now because it's getting lighter" you continue in a calm whisper "it might get a little dark, but it won't be like last night, okay? It's going to get brighter, I promise" when he doesn't move or say anything, you risk asking "is it okay if I go and turn the light off? I promise to turn it back on if you get scared"

He looks at you for a few seconds before looking up at the ceiling, not even affected by it's brightness, then again he did have ink-looking marks running down his face where his eyes should be.

You had no idea what this meant exactly, but you did not want to waste the electric any longer, so taking the risk of leaving your comfy cacoon, you get up and turn off the light as calmly as you could without any sudden movements.

The creature did seem to jump at the sudden change in lighting but he didn't scream or flail around like before, in fact, the creature lifted itself up and looked outside the window and tilted its head as if confused. Why though?

"I know it's not the best view but Dawn seems to love watching the sunrise when she's up for it" you say to ease the tension in the room.

The creature didn't move, it just sat there watching the window as the first rays slowly made themselves known over your back gardens walls. Tilting its head in the other direction.

Why did you get the feeling that this wasn't normal for him to react like this? If only there was a way to communicate with him... wait a moment.

You slowly make your way back to the creature and sit a few inches away from him "do you know what a sun is?"

You wait in the painful silence for an answer. Then you hear it. Two taps. He didn't know. Which means that he most likely never saw one. Still...

"Have you ever seen the sun before we found you?"

He lifts his hand up and it halts in the air, then he drops it into his lap. Twice. He's never seen it before... hold on... didn't Dawn mention something last night about... oh... of course he never would have seen the sun, he had been locked up in darkness for who knows how long, this was probably the first time he's had freedom from wherever he had been.

It was nothing short of a miracle that the creature hasn't tried attacking you. Yet. Maybe if you tried keeping him happy then it might increase your chances of keeping Dawn alive.