Prologue

You were the doorman.

No offense, but you undoubtedly had the literal worst job to have in this day and age.

Day after day you sat at your desk, inspecting the people that came in. Trying to make sure that not a single doppelganger got in. And also trying to make sure you didn't misjudge a neighbor of yours and get them killed by the D.D.D.

It was hard, when the copies acted so humane. So real, that you almost felt bad for handing them in to the D.D.D.

It made you sick.

Especially at the sight of one of the dis morphed bodies of your 'neighbors', making you gag at just a glance as you'd scurry to quickly press the emergency button.

It would take you a while to calm down every time it happened, quieting down instead of starting conversation with the people on the opposite end of the glass as you sorted out the needed documents.

They understood it too, staying quiet as they let you work. And surprisingly, even the doppelgangers picked up on this and let you have your space during those times.

That was, except for him.

"Mm, good afternoon.. Hey, you alright.?"

Francis Mosses.. I really doubt that he knows what space is.

But it was nice that he'd always ask, a rare yet soft look would always appear in his eyes as he looked down at you through the glass while you shifted through his papers.

"Yeah.. Sorry, the last.. copy.. was just really unnerving."

You sighed, a smile on your face as you stared up at him, examining his features as to tell whether he was the same or not.

So far so good, I mean..

He had the same deep yet endlessly tired eyes,

That small crack that rested at the bridge of his nose,

The same.. temptingly soft looking.. lips..

..Wait, wait- What?

You snapped yourself out of it, looking back down to his ID and entry request before looking over to today's list to check if he was on it.. He was.

You nodded with a light yawn, pushing your foot lightly off the ground to roll your chair over to the phone, quickly dialing his number just to double-check.. No answer.

Rolling back over to the center of your desk, you pushed the ID back out of the glass as you checked off the list.

"You're good to go, Francis."

You muttered, nodding at him as he gave you a nod back.

"Mm, perfect. The door?"

He asked, tilting his head over to the closed door as you responded with a light hum, quickly moving over to press the bright green button, letting him in with a soft smile as you waved goodbye to him.

"Have a nice day."

"Mhm.. You too, doorman."

You stared at him as he left, feeling slightly better as the smile remained on your lips before you pressed the red button to shut the door behind him.

Maybe being the doorman didn't suck so much, if it meant that you would see him every time.

514 words

(been a while, hope i haven't gotten too rusty)