Chapter Eleven

Chapter 11

The room's cheap air freshners hit my nostrils as soon as I enter. Cardboard boxes are stacked and placed everywhere; some unopened and some stuffed to the top with papers. I spot a few unpaid bills placed on a coffee table, dominated by a stick note yelling "IMPORTANT." There is another ceiling fan in here, a bit faster than it's distant friend, and it's orange bulb makes my skin look faker than Sarah's friends during cheerleading tryouts.

Kim is busy making room to sit on one of the two couches, and I go over to help her move the crap. This guy needs a maid, maybe a UFO wife.

The salt and pepper haired man stretches in his office chair, before yammering away. "Living here is a pain, you know? Not enough believers in this part. The only thing they believe in are Walmart deals and their baptist Gods. Not saying that's bad or anything, but can you imagine just being alone in the world? I would be very depressed if I still thought that."

"So what was the email about?" I say, clearly trying to shut his rambling. Kim chirps up before Sam can. "I asked him about any recent encounters. If anyone had came in with something new."

"Like what?" I'm not sure if I want to know the answer.

"Abductions," Sam states, cracking open an overflowing vanilla folder of papers. "And there's only been two. One is a lady who claims she lost her dog to one after hearing odd noises at night. Says she saw something fly into the sky. The other one is-"

"Kim, why do you care if there's these so-called abductions?" I whisper, while the old man rants. "You don't think their your dad right?"

"No!" she says, her eyes wide. "I just think any information is better than nothing."

"-and there was one other encounter, though not an abduction."

"And?" Kim asks eagerly.

"It's another claim from the Hawthrone kid."

"Jackson Hawthrone?" Kim says, her voice with a twig of annoyance.

"Yes, he says he saw something odd while out on his skateboard. It was actually when he was on his way here to deliver me some groceries I asked for."

"Okay, and?" I press on, tired and ready to go. Obviously this guy is full of crap. I want to tell Kim as soon as we leave to forget him and maybe we can check online again for a possible, reasonable, human dad.

"He saw the lights, the same ones I saw."

Kim jumps out of her seat. "That can't be true. That guy is full of fucking lies, Sam, you know that."

"Hey, watch your mouth," Sam says wearily, licking his finger as he plucks a rectangle sheet out of the folder. Handing it to her, he says, "I didn't either, until he showed me the picture he took on his iPhone. Take a look."

Kim's tan skin drained of color. Her fingers were slightly trembling, and I stood up to take a look as well. Sure enough, sideway ovals of different shapes and sizes littered the clouded day. You could see in the distance the very building we were in, and a thumb in the frame, blocking out the left top corner of it.

"There's more if you want to see," Sam says quietly. "I can assure you these aren't taken from the newspaper article."

"When did this happen?" I ask.

"Two weeks ago."

That was around the time Kim confessed her little secret. I keep starring at the picture, not believing it. It looks too good, too real. It has to be photoshopped, maybe even faked.

"How did I not see this?" Kim's voice shakes, barely audible.

"It happened very fast," Sam answers, "According to the kid, the lights only stood there for a minute or two before taking off. Oddly, my power did not go out this time, so I cannot conclude these are the same visitors as when you were born."

Still clutching the picture, Kim's head snaps up. "Where does Jackson live?"

Sam takes an opened evolope and scribbes out an address. "He might not be home, there is school in session. I believe you two both know that."

Busted. I scratch the back of my head and Kim takes the paper. As if the last statement didn't effect her, she thanks and tells him she'd visit again soon.

On our way out, Sam calls our names. Having our attention, he says, "Kim, don't get your hopes too high. I think of you as a great thinker but you can be a great dreamer. So promise me one thing, don't be too disappointed if your dad isn't-"

"I know he is, Sam. You said so yourself it's possible. Thanks for your concern, but I can handle this."

He nods, and I feel a respect for the guy. Even though he believed in all this, he was thinking the same thing I was. Sam worries for her, probably more than I am. He catches my eye and smiles. "You make sure she doesn't skip more school, boyfriend."

Instead of correcting him, I give him a thumbs up before ducking out in the hot, heavy sun.