7:1

“You have been chosen to fulfill the prophecies of this land mass. Do it before your life span runs out and you can live the rest of your life as a normal being. But, if you do not complete all the prophecies within the span of 120 years, you will be forced to continue living and once you do finally finish, you will parish. To ensure that you complete the prophecies we have put a curse on you. That is all. Good luck.”

With that, the menacing voice stopped. A little boy sat in an open field in the middle of a forest staring up at the blue sky. He watched as the grass waved in the wind, the animals ran around the trees, and the birds flew across the sky. Faintly, he could hear a stream running.

Suddenly, the clearing filled with laughter and the animals fled. He stayed where he was, watching as the creatures backed into the forest.

“Come catch me then!” A gleeful voice shouted loudly. He could hear footsteps pounding against the ground.

“Lizzie! Get back here!” Another voice yelled but they too, seemed to be enjoying themself. He heard more laughter then another shout. “Nope!” Now the little boy could see someone. She had long pink hair, a blue cover-up and a long-sleeved white shirt underneath, and blue jean shorts. She was running quickly across the field. In no time, she was basically on top of him. He did the only thing that he could think of; scream.

Her head whipped down and she stumbled while screaming in surprise. The other must have heard the scream as they yelled, “Are you alright?!” He could hear the footsteps pick up pace. “It’s a baby...” Her eyes went wide, and she smiled. “Aww! You’re so cute!” She bent down and ran her hand through the boy’s hair. “Lizzie!” “I’m over here Joel.” Lizzie called out.

Joel was quick to come to her side. He wore a white long-sleeved shirt with a long brown vest over top. He had green skin and strange funnel-like ears. “Look at this little one! Isn't he adorable!” An idea struck her, and she perked up. “Joel! Can we keep him? Please?” she asked, staring into Joel’s eyes, her voice squealing. “Lizzie, we don’t know how to care for a child.” Joel looked at Lizzie feeling sorry. “But we can’t just leave him! He’ll get eaten by- by a...” She paused, thinking. “A galgy!” She finished. Joel hesitated.

“Alright. Fine. We’ll take him back to the village.” Lizzie beamed and picked the little child off the ground. “Let’s go!”

As they neared the village, the baby began to glow. “Joel-” Lizzie was cut off as the baby was lifted out of her arms. Joel turned around just in time to see the glowing boy head towards the village. They both let out a surprised scream and started chasing after him.

When the boy finally landed, he was sitting on the ground staring at a large steel bell. It looked older than the supporters holding it up. Around him, ogres noticed his presence. They began slowly creeping closer. “Hey little guy... Why are you glowing?” One asked in a gruff voice. The little boy felt anxious.

Then out of nowhere, Lizzie and Joel showed up. “Get away from him!” Joel growled. They pushed through the ogres and stood by the child. “Why should we listen to you?” An ogre spat. Lizzie bent down and grabbed the boy. “Joel... Let’s go. We don’t want him to get hurt.” Lizzie glanced around. Joel began to guide Lizzie with his hands on her shoulders in a protective manner.

“Boy! Where you going with fresh meat?” Joel kept his hands on his wife, his grip tightening slightly. He looked back and met the ogre’s eyes. “He’s not ‘fresh meat’. He’s my child.” His voice was stern. When the ogre didn’t say anything, Joel turned around and began walking. “Wait until Avery hears of this. You won’t have your child for long.” Joel ignored the threat and continued walking.

They entered their house and Lizzie sat down on the couch. “Joel... what are we going to do? I don’t want to lose him...” She stared at the sleeping child in her arms. “Our first thing we should be doing is finding out why he was pulled to the middle of the village. And why he’s glowing.” Lizzie stared at Joel nervously. “Do you think we have enough time to leave before Avery shows up?” “Unfortunately, no. I don’t. Last time we barely had time to grab our coins before they showed up.” Lizzie’s eyes began to water.

Joel moved to the couch, sat down, and put his arm around her waist. She leaned on him. “I’m scared Joel.” She admitted, holding the baby closer. “I know. I know...” He held her closer and rested his head on top of Lizzie’s. He knew she was crying but didn’t say anything, just letting her. He kissed her forehead.

“Do you want to name him?” She nodded. “Any ideas?” His voice was gentle and his gaze loving. She looked up at him and he wiped the tears from her face. “How about Grian?” She asked. “I love it.” He smiled and kisses Grian’s forehead.

A knock sounded at the door. They both knew who it was. “Go into the bedroom. I’ll try something...” Joel whispered. She nodded and walked to the bedroom. Once she entered the room, he took a deep breath and walked towards the door. He fixed his composure and opened the door. Avery stood on the other side of it.

“You have a child?” They stared into his eyes. “It doesn’t concern you.” He answered. “I’ve heard he glows. Like Sunshine. From the prophecy.” They accused. A sudden realization struck Joel. The child they found- he was from the prophecy. Avery must have seen the realization in his eyes for they smiled smugly. “Where is he?”

“What are you planning?” Joel wasn’t about to give up his child for some prophecy. “To complete the prophecy, of course.” Joel shook his head. “The prophecy is vague. We don’t know how Sunshine is supposed to stop Shadow. For a while we thought the sun would stop it!” He argued. “Can’t you see? The child will allow you and your wife to finally be accepted. She will be able to live without those indifferent stares. You both will have a better life.” They spoke with fake sincerity. “And afterwards you get the child.” They said as if it was an afterthought.

Joel didn’t like this. He knew of the stares. He knew how the prices of food and clothing were raised because he was married to Lizzie, a fairy. He knew this would help them both. He knew all of this and more. Yet he couldn’t agree. The more he thought about it, the more he didn’t want to go through with it. If they left, they could find a place to accept them being married. If they left, they wouldn’t have to risk their child’s life for the ogres that only showed indifference and hatred towards them. If they left, they wouldn’t live in constant fear that one of them would break in. If they left, they could have children. If they left, they wouldn’t have to fear the ogres eating their children in the dead of night.

“You’re not getting him.” He stared into Avery’s eyes threateningly. They sighed. “I hoped you would agree, but you decided to be difficult. Now it’s our turn.” They smiled sinisterly and their eyes shined. Mere seconds later, an ogre broke through the wall.