Packing

Amelia's POV

Alone in my room, the weight of my father's dealings presses down on me, suffocating and heavy. What has he gotten us into? Who are these people that pose such a threat? How long will I have to hide, to run from shadows lurking in the corners of my own city?

A surge of defiance rises within me as I pace the familiar confines of my room, the silence broken only by the sound of my own racing thoughts. I refuse to be whisked away by some stranger, to abandon everything I hold dear in the name of safety. But even as the words form in my mind, I know that defiance alone will not shield me from the dangers that lurk outside my door. My father never let me around these men for reasons. 

With a sigh, I turn my attention to the task at hand, my fingers trembling as I reach for the suitcase tucked away in the closet. Each item I pack feels like a betrayal, a concession to the harsh reality of my circumstances. 

As I zip up the suitcase, I set it by my bedroom door.  Despite the looming threat, I can't help but cling to some semblance of normalcy, I packed a few outfits that I usually wear around the city. I also packed a few casual outfits and comfortable shoes, a concession to the practicalities of life on the run. And as I tuck a soft t-shirt and cozy pajamas into the corners of my suitcase, a pang of longing washes over me, a yearning for the comfort and familiarity of home in the midst of uncertainty.

As I pack my suitcase, I wonder about the man who'll protect me. Who is he? Can I trust him? These thoughts weigh heavy on my mind. I'm unsure about this stranger who'll accompany me into the unknown. Will he keep me safe, or am I just another pawn in a dangerous game? Only time will tell.

I hear my dad knock on the door. "Are you all ready? He will be here at 4 in the morning. We need to get you out of here before daylight." He says as he cracks the door open. 

"Yes Dad, I am as ready as I'll ever be." I said as I rolled my eyes. I closed the door back and got into bed. I turned my lamp off and rolled over to sleep.