The Bar

Amelia's POV

It has been a week since we have been to this vacation house. I am starting to get antsy having no friends and no phone. I hope my dad informed them of everything. I hope he is safe. I still haven't heard from him. Jackson has not told me anything between their conversations. I feel left out.

I look at the clock on my side of the bed, it's 8 pm. I am tossing and turning. I wonder if I can sneak off the property and go find something fun to do in this small town. There is no way to be found by those bad guys since I don't have a phone, right?

I slowly get out of bed and change my clothes. I change into a pair of jeans and a cute T-shirt. I quietly walk out of my room. I walk down the stairs and into the kitchen, trying to be as quiet as I can. I do not see him anywhere. He must have fallen asleep.

I grab my shoes and put them on. I sneak out the door and go to the garage. I find the keys to a car in the garage and turn the ignition. It starts. I back out the car and drive down the gravel drive.

This is so exciting, being able to sneak off. I feel a sense of freedom, the wind blowing through my hair, the night air cool on my skin. As I reach the main road, I turn right, heading into the heart of the town.

I pull up to a bar, deciding to get a drink. This is probably a terrible idea, but I do not care. I am an adult and can take care of myself. I park the car and walk inside the bar.

The place is crowded, with people milling about, talking, and laughing. It feels good to be around people, even if they don't know me.

"What can I get you?" The bartender asks as I sit down on a bar stool.

"I'll take a beer," I reply.

The bartender nods and places a beer in front of me. I take a sip, the cool liquid sliding down my throat. It feels good.

As I sit there drinking my beer, a man approaches me. He is tall and handsome, with dark hair and piercing blue eyes.

"Can I buy you another beer?" He asks.

"Sure," I reply, smiling.

The man sits down beside me and orders two more beers.

"My name is Amelia," I introduce myself.

"I'm Ben," he replies, extending his hand.

I shake it, my fingers lingering on his skin.

"So, what brings you to town, Amelia?" Ben asks.

"I'm just visiting," I say, taking a sip of my beer.

"I'm here on business, actually," Ben replies.

"Oh? What kind of business?" I ask, intrigued.

Ben hesitates, his eyes narrowing slightly. "It's not important," he says finally. "But, I'm glad I met you."

I smile, feeling a blush creeping up my cheeks.

"Do you live around here?" Ben asks.

"Nope, I'm just here for the weekend." I replied.

"Really? That's perfect. Can I take you out for dinner tomorrow night?"

I nod, my heart fluttering in my chest. "I would love that," I say.

As we continue talking, the conversation flowing easily between us, I feel a sense of excitement rising within me. 

But as the night wears on, the feeling of freedom starts to fade, replaced by a sense of foreboding. What am I doing?

"I should get going," I say, finishing the last of my beer. "I'll see you tomorrow night, right?"

"Of course," Ben replies, his eyes gleaming with anticipation. "I'll pick you up at 7 pm. Where do you live?"

"I can meet you back here at 7 tomorrow!" I said steering away from coming to the vacation house. Jackson would stop that immediately.

As I walk back to the car, a knot of anxiety coils in my stomach. I'm not sure if this is a good idea. But, as the night air fills my lungs, a surge of defiance courses through me.

This is my life, and I will live it the way I want to.

As the engine roars to life, the headlights cutting through the darkness, a sense of determination settles over me.

I am Amelia Reynolds, and no one can tell me what to do.

"What are you doing, Amelia?" Jackson asks as he is standing in the doorway, as if he was already waiting for me to come back home. 

"Just going for a drive," I replied, my voice cool and detached.

"Get back in bed," he orders. "You're not allowed to leave."

"Why not?" I demand.

"Because your father hired me to keep you safe. You're not safe out there." He explains. 

"I can take care of myself," I argue. "Besides, it's not like anyone knows where we are."

"You can't be sure of that. Just get back in bed."

Not feeling like arguing, I walk up the stairs and head to my room. I get undressed and wear my favorite silk crop top and my underwear. I crawl under my sheets and turn my lamp off.

I hear my door open. I look over and see Jackson standing in the doorway, in his grey sweatpants. I quickly sit up. "Can I help you?" I insist.

"This is my room as well now. Since you cannot be trusted, I'll have to sleep in here every night. To make sure you don't sneak off."

I scoff, "You're not sleeping in here."

"Yes, I am. Now, get some sleep, we have a long day tomorrow." he gets under the sheets and lays down next to me. I am only in my underwear over here and if I get up he will notice. I can feel his body heat radiating under the sheets. 

"Good night," he says softly.

I look over at him, his arm resting on his head. He looks so peaceful, his breathing slow and steady. I can't believe he thinks it's okay to come sleep in the same bed as me. This is ridiculous. How am I going to sneak out tomorrow? That guy will think I stood him up.

I turn my back to him and try to get some rest.