The Tower

I counted the days that would keep us together obsessively and although you swore you would always be around, I seemed to be the only one that knew that last day would mark the death of us. Lines drawn through every day signaled their passing and when the last day arrived my heart began to prepare to never see you again. The thought of this both tore through my heart like a tsunami, but also made it swell because I knew I could begin to find the pieces of myself once again and glue them back together.

The nights we shared haunt my thoughts and although I still feel the pangs of missing you, a part of me cannot believe that I ever allowed you to treat my heart with such carelessness. The ghost of the person that you pretended to be inhabits the hole in my heart while the person you are fills me with a raging fire. These extremes are too much for anyone to bear, so I bury them six feet under and leave the grave unmarked.

It did not take long for you to disappear,  just like I knew you would. My deep need to check for your messages slowly began to dissipate and I began to remember the parts of me that were hidden in order to appease you. I finally felt ready to let go of the grief that you caused, and that was when I was finally ready to cut the cord for good.