THIRTY-EIGHT

IT SEEMED THAT WALKERS WERE COMING AT THEM FROM ALL ANGLES. Josie was holding up Lori as Carl led them back the way them came and he ended up finding an empty room, leading them in. Lori rested against the wall as Carl and Josie did a quick sweep of the room.

"You doing okay?" Josie asked, coming back to her side.

"Yeah, the baby's definitely coming," Lori replied. "What are those alarms?"

"Don't worry about it," Josie replied.

"What if it attracts them?" Carl asked.

"Lori, let's lay you down," Josie said.

"No, baby's coming now," Lori shook her head.

"We have to get back to our cell block and have Hershel help with-" Carl began.

"No," Josie cut him off. "We can't risk getting caught out there," she looked at Lori. "You're gonna need to give birth to this baby here."

"Great," Lori breathed as she began to struggle to catch her breath.

"What's she doing?" Carl asked. "Can't she breathe?"

"She's fine," Josie replied as she rubbed her back. "Come on, let's get your pants off."

"Okay," Lori replied as she laid down on the floor.

Josie would admit that she was currently freaking out on the inside. She had no idea how to deliver a baby, but she got stuck just doing that. The brunette was told that Lori gave birth to Carl by C-section, so she was sure she had to do that with this baby and she had no clue on how to do that either.

"You're gonna need to help deliver your brother or sister, are you up for that?" Josie asked Carl, who nodded back. "You're gonna be just fine, Lor."

Lori's eyes found hers, filled with fear that she couldn't quite hide. She knew how this would end and deep down, Josie knew too.

Lori wasn't making it out alive.

"Oh, God, I don't even know how to tell if you're fully dilated enough," Josie sighed.

"I gotta push, I gotta push," Lori said, sitting up.

"Okay," Josie said as she helped her to her feet, then Lori gripped onto the railing and began to push. "You're doing great, Lori. Keep going, your body knows what to do."

Lori suddenly let out a scream and Josie felt warm liquid on her hands. The brunette looked down and saw that her hands were covered in blood.

"Lori, stop!" Josie shouted. "Something's wrong!"

"What's happening?" Carl asked.

Josie laid Lori back down, who was as pale as a ghost and sweating like crazy. The brunette's bottom lip trembled, knowing she wasn't going to survive this.

"Mom?" Carl asked, kneeling beside her. "Mom, look at me, look at me. Keep your eyes open."

"We have to get back to Hershel," Josie said.

"I'm not gonna make it," Lori whispered, accepting her fate.

"Lori, with all this blood, I don't even know if you're fully dilated yet," Josie said. "No amount of pushing is gonna help."

"I know what it means and I'm not losing my baby," Lori replied. "You gotta cut me open."

"No, I can't," Josie shook her head.