Chapter Two

Taylor

I don't want to go to school today. But mum forces me out the door and into to car, telling me I can't miss a day because I'm 'sad'.

Heartbroken is the right word for it.
Depressed, even.

My outfit today lacks its usual style. A pair of jorts and a baggy green jumper that I haven't worn in forever. Normally I would be wearing Dan's. Not even my new converse high tops or the dark green ribbon in my hair can cheer me up.

I'm surprised to see Charlotte in the driver's seat, and the bright yellow L plates on the car.
"Taylor there's no way I'm letting you drive today. I'm scared for my life. Plus I need to get my hours up."

I don't say anything, just climb into the passenger seat and sit in silence for the journey.

The rest of the day passes similarly, hanging out the back of classes, not saying a word to anyone but Eve.

My best friend is beautiful. She has straight black hair, clear blue eyes and very tanned skin. She knows everyone in school- every girl wants to be her friend and every boy wants to be her boyfriend. Eve is also the head cheerleader at our school. In truth I'm not that different, I'm co-captain of the squad, but there's no guys falling at my feet because Dan made it clear that wasn't happening while we were dating.

 Eve and I make every decision of the squad together so when I start walking towards the carpark she frowns.
"Tay, it's Thursday. We have cheer?"
I sigh, remembering that we also have game this weekend, instead of practise. I'll definitely see Dan up close then.

It'll be the first time I haven't worn his Maple Ridge Soccer hoodie to a game since he made the team at the start of Year 11. Speaking of, I should do something with that jumper..."Earth to Taylor, earth to Taylor."
"Eve I'm sorry I completely forgot. I didn't bring any clothes."
"Check your bag. Charlotte texted me that she knew you'd forget and she put something in there for you."

I dig through my bag, finding out that 'something' is a pastel blue sports bra and matching bummers. Then I send Charlotte a quick thank you text, and Evelyn and I go get changed.

I follow my best friend out to the oval, where a bunch of mats are set up. The gym on Thursdays is booked by two other sports teams, so the cheerleaders get stuck with some mats out on the oval.

The bonus about being outside? The school soccer team trains then, and we see them running around with their shirts off. 

The not-so-bonus thing about being outside? Dan is one of them. And I can see him putting on his boots out there now.

"Eve. Oh my god. Dan," I say, freaking out as we get closer to their team.
"Taylor, you will be fine. Look cute and ignore him the whole time, and he'll realise how stupid he was."

Taking her words into consideration, I raise my head and walk straight to my team. Miss Rell is our teacher supervisor, though most of the time she gossips with us and mainly Eve is in charge, and she gives me a sad smile that tells me she knows about Dan and I. Not that that matters.

We start our own warm ups, and Gia starts to play her music.
A couple songs in, Fergalicious comes on. Now I am a Swiftie at heart, but the way I sing to Fergalicious would make anyone forget that.

"Listen up, y'all, 'cause this is it. The beat that I'm bangin' is delicious," I start scream-singing.
Eve and I make contact and she claps to the rest of the team. Then they form a line behind me, echoing my moves in the background and singing along with me. I do a back handspring back tuck to split the line and we reform as I recentre and keep moving.

The routine feels good, and we move for our stunts as will.i.am starts spelling the word delicious. I'm boosted into the air, taking a deep breath with two girls behind me.

"All the time I turn around brothas gather 'round, Always looking at me up and down looking at my (uh). I just wanna say it now, I ain't tryin' to round up drama, little mama, I don't wanna take your man. And I know I'm comin' off just a little bit conceited, And I keep on repeating how the boys wanna eat it. But I'm tryin' to tell that I can't be treated like clientele, 'Cause they say she delicious (so delicious). But I ain't promiscuous. And if you was suspicious, All that shit is fictitious. I blow kisses (mwah). That puts them boys on rock, rock, And they be lining down the block, Just to watch what I got (got, got, got, got). Four, tres, two, uno."The other flyers and I are brought back down for the end of the song, which becomes an improv that I am the middle of. 

When it's over, Eve calls us to attention and we run through our routines for the last time before Saturday's game. By the time we're finished practise and I see all the soccer boys wrapping up too, I realise I haven't thought about Dan for the last two and a half hours.