Chapter Three

Matteo

"Is it really true?" I ask my best mate, Leo Davies, "Wright and Taylor have broken up?"

Daniel Wright is one of my soccer teammates, and has been dating Taylor Moore for over two years now. No other boy is allowed to even look at Taylor, or Daniel has a problem with them.

Well not anymore I guess.

He nods, knowing he's probably got the best gossip of the year. Frankly, I don't know how I didn't hear it sooner.

"I heard that he told her he wanted a break and she wasn't happy with that so she said he had to make a proper decision. He chose break up."

"Wo-ow," I half say, half whistle, "Smart move from her though I guess, remember what happened with Adam and Ophelia last year?"

He nods, "Plus every TV show ever has that plotline. Honestly I don't know why he even tried 'break'."

I know why. Daniel's a dickhead. But he's a pretty good right back so I have to get on with him. Luckily I play left wing, so I don't have to connect with him that much during games. And I avoid him at school whenever I can.

I ran into Taylor in the hall yesterday, and she looked like she didn't know what was going on. Her eyes were sort of glazed over, and she barely said two words. Very unusual for her. I've never spoken to her personally- doing things like that can even be lethal to the most popular boy in school- but I've seen her around her friends and people in general. She exudes confidence.

We shut up as Daniel walks out to the fields towards us, joining the small team circle where we're putting on our boots. I see him glance sullenly over towards a small group of girls and Miss Rell.

Right, cheer practice is on today. And Taylor is co-captain of the squad, though she isn't over there now. Daniel moves around the circle so now he's facing the girls. Leo and I share a look, but say nothing. The rest of team arrives one by one, and starts to warm up as they get their boots on.

Halfway through my statics I glance up and see Taylor Moore and Evelyn Leroy walking together to practice. Evelyn is captain of the cheer team, and another one of the hottest girls in the school. Right now they are both dressed in sports bras and bummers, Taylor in blue, Evelyn in a bright pink. 

I glance at Daniel, and see his eyes on Taylor. In fact, half the team's eyes are on the pair. I almost want to start laughing at the expression on his face when he sees them all staring at her. His mouth opens and closes. Then it opens and closes again. But he can't say a word to anyone now, and he knows it.

We go back to our warm ups and Coach Cagton arrives, putting us through some rondos and a bit of juggling to get started.

It's as we're starting our first drill that I hear a thumping Fergalicious coming from over the cheerleader's way. My eyes fixate on the lead of the routine, a blonde haired girl wearing blue.

"Holy shit."

The words come from Patrick Wiggon, our striker, while he watches the girl dance. Everyone is looking now, some still avoiding looking at Taylor, though not me. The way she moves- her body, her ass- is wonderfully captive.

I watch as three girls underneath her hoist her up into the air for the rap, which she scream-sings word for word, while performing some moves. Coach clears his throat, knowing he's lost most of his team's focus. Shaking my head out of the oblivion, I call back the team's focus and we start our drill.

We finish training with a small game while the girls start packing up too. I run down the left wing and collect the ball from one of the backs, starting up the left wing. Daniel is on the opposite team, and because he is right back I'm up against him. He doesn't make a move towards me until the last minute, and by then it's too late. I step him and run towards goal, kicking it in with ease. 

As I turn around to take the ball back up to halfway, I catch sight of Taylor and Evelyn talking to Miss Rell and showing what I guess is new moves for a routine. No one can deny it's hot. Neither can Daniel apparently, because he's still staring at them.

"Oi Wright! Get your head back in the game!"

He looks angrily at me, but listens, and the next time I make a run, he's alert and puts up a good fight for it (I still manage to cross it and our team scores).