Every Heartbreak - 104

Jinx was sitting on the cot in Yeong's cell. A princess should never be there, but she didn't care. Especially not then. Her family was together, and her love had given her countless goodbye kisses and hugs. The same to their little ones, but it would never be enough. She wanted to keep him forever.

Ji-hae was sitting beside Yeong, snuggled into his side, half asleep, and Day-Lily was comfortable in Yeong's lap, holding one of his hands with both of hers, focused on the way he would randomly move to keep her attention. Not too long before, after they had composed themselves, they got the children back from Wen and Moon-soo.

Out of nowhere, they hadn't said a word in a while, Yeong looked to the princess, "Do you know that I love you?"

"I love you too."

"But do you know that, Jinx?"

She met his eyes then.

There was more that he was saying. Goodbye was hours away.

Tears started to gather, but she didn't want to cry. The princess didn't want to remember the end that way. She wanted to see him smile or to smile at him, but it felt impossible.

"Jinx," he gently reminded her to answer.

"Yes." For certain. "I know."

Yeong blessed her with a faint grin, then pressed a soft kiss to her lips. It almost felt like goodbye would never be real.

The emotions threatened to spill over, but she looked away, to their daughter, who was familiar with Yeong like he had been there all along.

He didn't comment, he just caught the few tears that had escaped from the princess' eyes. "What do you think about spending time alone for a while?"

"Mhm," she couldn't force a word even if she tried. She gathered Day-Lily into her arms, then stood.

Yeong had Ji-hae in his arms when they met Wen in the hall.

The princess cleared her throat, then asked, "Can I take them back? Where's Gun to stand guard?" She looked towards the other Jae-On warriors around to chose. "Junwoo too. I'm going to let them sleep, then I'm going to come back by myself."

"That's fine," Wen understood. "Gun is asleep, but he will." Then he switched to Jeon, "Jee, come with us, and you get Gun. Junwoo, you're guarding with Gun too. The prince and princess will be in the room alone. Understood?"

Jee and Junwoo bowed in acceptance.

"Let's go."

"Can I go with her?" Yeong asked, but it sounded closer to an order than an request.

"Yes, sir. Mm." Wen considered it for a second, then looked to Jee again, "Go ahead and have the doors open."

"I got it," Jee nodded okay.

It was distinctly surreal to be walking outside with Yeong, each of them holding one of their children, going towards the front of the west wing. Jinx kept stealing glances of him in the moonlight, Yeong with Ji-hae resting comfortably on his shoulder.

He looked to her too, knowing exactly what was on her mind. It went without asking that he was also doing the same, capturing the image of her and Day-Lily.

Jee went ahead like planned, so Yeong's men at the door of the west wing, Shin and Kwan, had one of the doors open so it strategically blocked the guards at the north and east wing doors from seeing what was going on. Those guards, the king's men, knew better than to think too much of it or ask any questions.

Too soon, they were in front of her room doors. Once Gun arrived, Jinx and Yeong took their children into her room and closed the door. It was so natural, Yeong sat down at the princess' desk while she paced, coaxing Day-Lily to rest her eyes.