Steadfast Obedience - 70

Her schedule went back to normal. Art, dance, Jeon lessons, life went on.

Things were fine with Yeong. Nothing about their feelings had been negatively affected by the news. Their connection only became more profound as they made sure to show each other how much they cared whenever they could get the chance.

Every night, Jinx went to sleep wrapped up in Yeong, and every morning, she wanted so badly for him to stay.

"Princess," he apologized. "I have to go back to my room."

"I don't want you to," she was tired, delirious, and halfway to crying as he moved the covers back.

"I know," he whispered, caressing her face. "Don't cry."

"Don't go."

Yeong softly shushed her, "Go back to sleep. I'll see you soon."

"But what if I don't?" She wasn't making complete sense, but she didn't mean the present. Time was only counting down until the day she had to marry someone else.

"That's not possible, you will."

"Yeong, I'm- I don't want to."

He sighed, sad as he caught on to what she was referring to. "I know you don't. But I'll see you then."

Her sleepy mind decided his reassurance was enough, and she didn't fight him anymore. She let him get up and leave her room just before the sun rose.

Part of her schedule for that day was to meet with the king. He watched her with disdain as her and Yeong entered Matthew's study, the room chosen for the private meeting.

"You haven't been on your best behavior," King Byron started without greeting her. "I've been hearing about you moping around."

"I didn't-"

"You did, and you do. I put eyes and ears out to see what you're doing. You're almost always sad," he was offended, as if she was insulting him. "Your life isn't rough, and never has been, so stop walking around around like I sentenced you to death."

Holding in an annoyed huff, she didn't say a word. The princess clasped her hands and scratched at the backs of her palms as the king continued to stare at her with contempt.

"As a royal, you should have a better attitude and not be so weak. Everything doesn't go your way."

"Mm," Yeong wasn't impressed. "There's a polite way to say things, and as a king, you should know."

Jinx turned to him in surprise.

He almost seemed indifferent, but she knew better. She could see the ice in his eyes as he stared back at the king.

She turned to Nat then, who was in his usual post near the king.

Nat was unconcerned, looking at Yeong, then looking away. He wasn't going to interfere.

The king's glare was muted fire, moving from Yeong to the princess, "You might not be happy about it, but nothing is changing. Do you understand?"

"Yes."

"Yes?" King Byron raised both eyebrows, the fire of anger in his eyes burning brighter.

"Yes, your majesty," she bowed in agreement. "I understand."

"Good. You need to understand how important this marriage is. It doesn't matter if you're happy or ever love him. This is a bond between two influential kingdoms. Every kingdom in every syndicate knows Vinica and Jae-On."

Both kingdoms had their reasons for being so well-known. Vinica was neutral territory and the most diverse kingdom, offering protection and safety for emigrants without requiring official citizenship. It was central to trading across all of Amerika Territories because of their connections in trade with kingdoms across all syndicates. It maintained a stable economy and relationships with many kingdoms.