29|Past, Present, Death

A/N — pay keen attention to the timeline throughout this chapter and remember to Vote, comment & enjoy!

Jamari 'Rome' Hayes| 23

🗓️That night| Three Years Ago

In Limbo

"Yuh really do this Juvi?" Jerome says and I hiss my teeth looking at the doctors trying to resuscitate me, "Yuh need fi tell me a who kill yuh and stop try police my drug intake" I rasp and he shakes his head.

Right now the fact seh mi a have a outta body experience and the only thing pan my mind was revenge and Kaida should say a lot.

Before all this, drugs was the only thing I could rely on but as I heard her sobs from where I stood mi get fi realise seh mi actually have something worth living for.

"Yah fi fix this Mari, yuh mother nah go survive losing the both of us" he continues and I finally turn to look at him. 

You know how them seh when somebody is near to death they look angelic, a suh the man look right now and it just grieve mi heart.

"He's right baby" a voice I haven't heard in so long says and I look to my right to see my mother standing there, "You can't repeat my mistakes. I've watched you destroy yourself for years feeling like a failure to have driven you to this point" she says and my eyes tear up.

I'm not a man that cries, shit the last time I did was the day she died and seeing her standing in front of me now, I've come to realize how broken I've been.

"It's the only thing I find comfort in" I mutter and she walks closer to me, "What about that beautiful girl you've come to grow so fond of?" she asks resting her hand on my cheek, "You can't leave her, she's never going to get over it"

~

"He's been down for too long, if we are able to bring him back at this point I can only imagine how extensive the brain damage will be" the doctor says looking at his team.

~

"How do I go back?" I ask as a slight panic settles through me, "You have to want to go back. You're in limbo right now, which means you're not dead yet" she answers and I groan.

"Dat nah make nuh sense" I say frustratedly and Jerome laughs reminding me that he was still here.

"Listen to me son, for years you've been playing with the balance between life and death and you've finally tipped the scale. To get a second chance at life, you need to let go of the hurt that's been festering inside you" she explains and I sigh heavily.