51 - The Twist

Arun's POV:

Hearing a human's voice in a lone forest, Angel startled turning back, and widened her eyes in shock.

I smiled at her, happy tears forming in my eyes, panting for air as I ran upwards at a jet speed.

She immediately squeezed her eyes shut without even a smile at me.

Didn't she want to show her eyes to me? Or didn't she want to see me? Or both?

I knew she was hurt because of the topic of eyes and she would behave like that only.

I breathed deep, rubbing my chest. "Angel, I am sorry. Please look at me. Tell me how are you?"

She stepped away, stretching her hands front as if she was visually challenged and walked away silently.

I walked beside her. "Angel, won't you talk to me? Won't you see me? I am sorry for whatever I said. I experienced more pain than you for more than two years. I really regretted behaving like that to you. I promise I really didn't do anything for you because of Diya's eyes. I might have started developing an affection for you in the first meeting because of Diya's eyes. But gradually you occupied a place in my heart. I did everything for you because you are Angel, not because you have Diya's eyes. I wanted you to study to improve yourself and also to fulfill Diya's dreams. Not only for Diya's dreams. And I took care of you when you were sick, because I wanted Angel to live long. Not because I should see Diya's eyes for long years, but because Angel should see the world for a long years."

No response.

Her silence even after years and the way she was behaving like a visually challenged stabbed my heart like a sword, triggering a mix of pain and anger in me. I clenched my teeth and yelled, "Angel, will you talk to me or not? Open your eyes first."

No response.

I yelled, "Open your eyes, if you have love for Mahi."

She responded, still closing her eyes, her legs descending the trail. "Why should I open my eyes and prove to you I have love for Mahi? No need."

Her stubbornness and attitude! I wanted to burn it in the fire. But how could I do it when I liked her response? I pressed my forehead frustratingly and added, "Okay. You don't need to open your eyes. But let's go home. Everyone is worried for you and your life. Everyone is searching for you till now. Please forgive me and come with me...."

She interrupted. "Home?? I can't come anywhere. Am I a toy to come with you whenever you want, to talk with you whenever you want and to go away from you whenever you feel irritated? Moreover, I am married now. I am married to a man who loves me with all his heart. I am three months pregnant now." She touched her tummy, a smile appearing on her face. "I am so happy and peaceful now. Being pregnant and experiencing the husband's care while being pregnant has a different level of happiness. My husband took me here to celebrate the new arrival of our little cute family. He lifted me and walked all through the upward trail. Now he went to bring some wild fruits for me. We are not rich. We both are orphans. But we made a cute family. We live in a little home. But that little home has a love which is bigger than the universe. I am so happy. If my family worries about me, tell them this. Tell them I am super happy." Her smile fading away, a teardrop escaping from her closed eyes, and her legs stopped.

She squeezed her eyes, biting her lips and forced a smile. "Happy tears. You please leave me alone. I don't want to see you. Don't intervene in our special moments."

I was thunderstruck. A pain streaked through a part of me. But a peacefulness... peacefulness which I never felt from the day of my Diya's demise embraced the other part of me, surpassing the pain. If she was happy, if she had a husband who loves her with all his heart, if she had a husband who loves her more than me, that was more than what I needed for my peacefulness. I felt I found my peacefulness which I was searching for a long time.