82 - The Hope

Arun's POV:

As my body felt like a puppy was crawling on me, stirring me to wake up, I fluttered my eyelids open and found it was not a puppy, but it was a big monkey's little monkey daughter, Mahi. While I was laying sideways, hugging Angel, she straddled my waist, her little hands trying to separate my and Angel's hug. Probably to lay down between us.

I faked a frown, releasing my hand from Angel, holding Mahi tight and tossed to my back. She fell on my chest and wiggled while I hugged her. "Why are you separating me and Amma? Don't do it." I puffed my cheeks, flaring my nose and leaned to brush my forehead against her forehead.

She laughed. "Appa, you look like a monkey."

I smirked playfully. "Maybe. But everyone says you are behaving like me. So you are also a monkey. Monkey baby. No no, Monkey Mahi. Suitable and rhyming." I brushed her forehead affectionately.

She laughed. "Then Akka??"

"Akka is a good girl. She is not a monkey." I shrugged.

She shook her head fast. "No. Akka is a Buffalo. Buffalo Pari."

While I bursted out into laughter, Pari frowned, who was sitting near me politely, and twisted both my and Mahi's ears. "Appa... she is teasing me and you are laughing. Your Pari is angry now."

I let out an awkward grin. "Sorry, ammu ma. But Buffalo Pari is nice and rhyming na? Buffalo is also beautiful, polite,...."

She intervened, flaring her nose, resting her hands on her waist. "Then you are an African elephant. African elephant Arun. Nice and rhyming!"

"Thank you, ammu ma. For such a nice name." I bursted out into laughter, suddenly my mind striking whatever happened the previous day and night.

Angel vomited more than five times throughout the night and fell asleep by early morning only.

"Shhh...." I immediately hushed, sitting up, holding Mahi in my lap and touched Angel's head warmly. "Amma is not well. Don't disturb her."

Both Mahi and Pari gasped. "What happened, pa?"

I forced a smile. "Amma fell down accidentally when she went out yesterday. Her hip is injured. Later she developed a stomach problem. She was vomiting often at night. Let her take complete rest today." I turned to Mahi. "Amma will not feed you till she gets alright. You should not disturb her."

She pouted her lips, nodding her head innocently.

I added, turning to Pari, "She will be alright within a week. After she gets alright, I planned for a trip to Kerala. You can take leave for a week na?"

"Yes." She nodded her head excitedly. "Shall we..." She paused, shaking her head and added with a smile. "Okay, pa. Let's go."

I narrowed her eyes at her with puzzlement. "What were you about to say?"

"Nothing, pa." She shook her head firmly.

I glared at her. "Ammu ma, tell now." My voice turned stern.

She smiled innocently, shrinking her shoulders, and replied, her voice reluctant, "That... Nana has a car that can be changed to open roof na? Vijay mama uses that car whenever he goes to outstations. He takes me and Mahi, too, a lot of times to the nearby park in that car. It was awesome. I thought of going to Kerala in that car." She looked at me with puppy eyes. "But Vijay mama's dad is rich. He will go outstation in luxury cars. But my dad is not rich. I should not bother him, I thought and stopped my words."

Was she really a 9 year old child? How could a child be understanding and loving this much more than adults?

I was dumbfounded for a moment, feeling a mix of pride and helplessness at the same time. Pride because I felt as if I had the best daughter in this world. Helplessness because I didn't have millions and crores in hands to buy a convertible car to fulfill her wish. I planned for a budget trip only by train and bus. I didn't want to request Appa, too, to give his car for a week. It was my self esteem or self respect or ego or whatever. I never asked him anything. Whatever I received from him was because of his own compulsion and love.