Chapter 1

When I was a child, I always dreamed of what my husband would be like. A noble and kind-hearted man who worshiped the ground I walked on. I wanted the whole world to know that I had true love. All the kingdoms to dance in the streets and sing our praise. I want a husband who would rule the kingdom greatly and wouldn't let his heart grow cold. To run around with our children until the sun goes down then lay in the grass and watch the stars. I learned very soon that was not the case. Not my future, I was married to a cold-hearted monster. Only known as the Cruel King. Simon is a man of little words and when he did speak it was venom with a furrowed brow. I stayed inside most days, playing chess and painting. That seemed to upset him too. It's been over a year, and I wake up alone, eat alone, and go to bed alone. The only reason I know he joins me at night is the slight shift in the bed and the groans of him finally taking off his crown.  Today was the rare occasion I decided to do something, Horse riding was always my favorite thing growing up and it comforted me greatly feeling the wind make my hair a chaotic mess. I walk through the halls quietly trying not to be seen nor disturb anyone to alert the king   "You shouldn't be wandering around the castle by yourself, It's idiotic." His voice echoed in your ears. He never yelled he just.... projected his voice. "I got bored of waiting for your meeting to be over, so I decided to go riding today" Simon scoffed rolling his eyes "I do not recall you ever asking nor having anyone accompany you?" I nod slowly whispering softly "Because I didn't" His brows furrow at this point I'm surprised there isn't a wrinkle there. "You shouldn't go alone" he says looking around us. He is on edge...nervous and dare I say anxious. "I have done it before" I say defending myself. "You are staying inside today" he said swiftly rushing off I nod to myself looking down. His boots hit the floor thundering on the ground hard. He was gone no more than the lingering smell of his cologne to keep me company. I start walking back to the castle entrance and sneak down to the stalls. I look around seeing no one paying attention to what I am doing, I quickly saddle up and take off. The ride was peaceful, the summertime at the palace was a wonder. Ponds glistened in the morning light. The sound of deer prancing through the woods. It was a sight to see, and I intended to take it all in without being disturbed and certainly not from inside that prison. No Simon, no demanding servants, just me and mother nature. Until everything went black.

My head burned and ached when I finally opened my eyes, I must have hit my head on a branch. It was dark and blurry, stone replacing the dirt causing me to blink a couple times before seeing walls and a dimly lit silhouette of two men sitting at a table.  The room was small, I try to move but a loud noise from a chain is heard rustling catching their attention. The men look over eyeing me up and down "Where am I?" I say groggy from the headache. 

"Shouldn't have went riding by yourself, My Queen, Dangers lurk in these woods."