Chapter 9: Reward

double take - Dhruv

★・・・・・・★

CHARLES' POV

Race day.

My heart was racing— it does every race day, but, it's not every race day that Julianna's watching my every move. I grip the steering wheel hard— too hard— the screams of the crowd and the sound of everything else are completely drowned out by my inner monologue. My eyes are glued to the lights suspended above, waiting for them to come and go.

Five seconds feels like a century until it finally happens— lights out, and away we go.

Starting fifth on the grid isn't at all ideal for me and the team, but I need to do whatever I can. By the first corner, I overtake Lando who is in fourth, and I can see Oscar Piastri just in front of me as we come into the first strait. I manage to get DRS and zoom past him, meeting Carlos who sits comfortably at second place.

I don't prioritise overtaking Carlos, as Ferrari have reprimanded us consistently on our over-competitiveness. I love the guy but man, he really loves his wins. Instead, I focus on defending against Piastri for podium, who is trying his hardest to retake that third from me. I don't find it particularly difficult tonight to fend him off, despite Oscar being a great driver— the McLaren simply isn't fast enough on the straits to keep up.

Max, who has been leading the race for the first three laps, gets overtaken by Carlos, and seems to be having an issue with his car. I hear Xavi, my race engineer, on the radio a few laps later telling us Max is out of the race, which, despite it only being race three of the season, is the best news I've heard all year.

"Keep position, Verstappen is retiring the car," Xavi tells me, and I assume also Carlos.

"Yes. We are in second now?" I ask.

"Correct, second position," he confirms.

I smile in my helmet. A Ferrari 1-2 would be perfect for Julianna to see at her very first Grand Prix. I know I shouldn't think it, but I wish Xavi would tell us to switch positions, however, I also know Carlos deserves the win, having just recently recovered from an appendectomy. I bite back the itch to win, and just keep fending Lando off, who was given third due to McLaren asking for their drivers to switch positions.

I feel bad for Oscar, considering it is his home race, but it's also none of my business.

The rest of the race goes smoothly, and I am beyond elated. Russel crashes in the last lap however, but no red flag is raised and Carlos finishes in first place, with me tailing right behind him in second and Lando in third.

It's a fantastic podium.

Me, and my very best mates. The podium ceremony goes well, and I'm now drenched in champagne and my own sweat. We all make our way back to the paddock, and I find Julianna beaming wildly as I'm taking my helmet and gloves off, unbuttoning my race suit at the neck.

"Charles!" She runs up to me with her arms wide open, despite my state. "You did so great mon amour,"

"I'm disgusting!" I warn, but her arms are already around me.

"I didn't ask," she jokes. "I'm so proud of you. It was the best first grand prix for me,"

"All for you," I respond, removing my balaclava, and she smiles shyly. "So..."

I swallow— my nerves are firing.

"...about that... reward?"

Julianna's eyes shift, and her cheeks tint ever so slightly. Last night, we met in my hotel room, and made a sort of bet; if I got on that podium she promised me a 'reward'. Her voice was thick like honey, and I knew exactly what she was insinuating.