Chapter 17: Kollage

Kiss Me - Matt Maltese

★・・・・・・★

JULIANNA'S POV

The Imola crowd roars Charles' name as he steps up onto the third step of the podium. It's once again a Max-Lando-Charles podium, but this time with Max in first and Lando in second. They immediately spray champagne all over each other when the formalities are over.

I meet Charles in his driver room, which is admittedly quite small, after his shower. He shuts the door behind him, towel around his neck, hair damp. I grab his face in my hands as he turns to me.

"First podium as my boyfriend," I joke, kissing his lips gently.

"Indeed," he says after I pull away.

We stay like that for a while before I break the silence.

"I was thinking..." I start. "I don't want to go public just yet. Your fans have not always been so kind,"

"I..." he trails off.

"It's alright, Charles. It's not your fault," I assure. "But we could tell the others," I say with a smile.

"Whatever you're comfortable with, mi amor," he smiles back.

I grin back. "Also, I saw your post race interview— you sound sexy speaking Italian,"

"O si? Sei sempre sexy," he whispers in my ear.

A shiver goes down my spine. "Thank you?"

"Mm, you're welcome," he says, kissing my cheek. "Let's go,"

Charles twists the doorknob, opening the door. We stop when we find ourselves face-to-face with Carlos, who stops in his tracks as he hears the door open. His surprised expressions changes into an impish one, his tongue poking the inside of his cheek. His stance relaxes.

"And what exactly is this? Are you allowed to be here, Julie?" He teases, pointing an accusatory finger at us.

"Well—"

"Loosen up, you two," he bursts out into laughter. "Not like I'm going to tell anyone,"

We laugh with him, relaxing.

"What were you guys doing in there anyway? Actually— I don't want to know," he decides, waving a finger.

"Just giving my boyfriend some encouragement for a podium," I tell him, looking at Charles with a grin.

"Oh, makes sense. I—" he cuts himself off, squinting his eyes at his. They dart between me and Charles. "Wait,"

"Yes?" Charles says.

"Boyfriend?" He asks. His eyes widen, and a smile spreads across his face. "Ey, cabron! Congratulations you two,"

He gives Charles a pat on his upper shoulder, who exchanges the same smile.

"Took you two long enough!"

"Everyone's going to say that," I add, chuckling at Carlos' enthusiasm.

"Hey!" Charles exclaims. "Did I not do it at the right time?"

"I didn't say that, Charles," I turn to him.

"Yeah," Carlos butts in, "I did,"

We all laugh and make our way out of the paddock. I feel a hand on my shoulder from behind, startling me a little.

"Hey!" It's Lando's voice. "What's going on?"

Carlos smiles. "Nothing. I'm just third wheeling,"

"But— oh," Lando realises. "Well, well, well. Congratulations you two! Gianna and I have been making bets about this. I'm sure she'll be delighted to know she won,"