Chapter 25 - Hidden Feelings

As the sun cast its warm glow upon us, I found myself in a moment of serene wakefulness while Eliot remained asleep beside me. Gently, I reached out to stroke his cheek, marveling at the delicate beauty of his eyelashes in the sunlight.

Eventually, he stirred, his hazel eyes opening to meet mine.

"Morning, did I wake you up?" I asked, unable to contain my smile.

"No, you didn't. Good morning, Abby," he replied softly, leaning in to kiss me on the lips with a tenderness that made my heart flutter.

At that exact moment, Christine burst into the room, her voice filled with concern.

"Abby! Are you alright? I've been—" she started, only to pause abruptly as she took in the scene before her.

I froze, realizing with a sinking feeling that I had forgotten to lock the door last night.

"Oh, what the hell!" Christine shouted in shock as she entered the room, catching sight of Eliot in a state of undress.

Without hesitation, she stormed towards Eliot and swung her bag at him, her anger palpable.

"You bastard! How dare you touch Abby!" she exclaimed furiously, her voice filled with righteous indignation.

Panic surged through me as I realized the gravity of the situation. I darted towards the door, desperate to prevent anyone else from witnessing the chaotic scene unfolding inside.

After a moment, I gathered my courage and approached Christine and Eliot, attempting to diffuse the tension.

"Chris, hey, stop. It's not what you think. I mean, it looks like it, but we didn't do anything... yet," I explained hastily, hoping to clarify the misunderstanding.

"Huh? What is that supposed to mean? He's a bastard," Christine retorted, her anger still simmering.

"That's assault," Eliot interjected, his voice firm.

I shot him a warning look, silently urging him not to escalate the situation further. Thankfully, he fell silent once more and wore his shirt. 

"Look, let me explain," Abby pleaded, recounting the events of the party to Christine.

"That witch, I'm gonna kill her," Christine seethed with anger.

"Yeah, well, I'm on your side if you do," I chimed in, offering my support.

"Does that mean Bethany is clearly out of the picture for you?" Christine turned to Eliot, her tone demanding.

"I'm not sure about Bethany's perspective, but I have nothing to do with her anymore," Eliot replied earnestly.

"Good, because the moment I find out you're just playing with Abby, you're dead," Christine warned, her protective instincts kicking into high gear.

"Christine," I interjected, trying to lighten the mood with a laugh.

"What brought you here anyway?" I asked Christine, curious about her unexpected arrival.

"Girl, you didn't answer my damn calls," she replied bluntly.

My heart sank as I realized the reason for her concern— I had lost my phone in Bethany's house.

"Oh God!" I exclaimed, feeling a surge of frustration and anxiety wash over me.

"What happened, Abby?" Eliot asked softly, sensing my distress.

"I left my phone in Bethany's house," I confessed, feeling utterly helpless.

"It's okay, I can get it back for you," Eliot offered reassuringly.

"How? I don't want you to interact with her anymore," I protested, reluctant to involve Eliot in any further dealings with Bethany.

"You two are killing me alive. And I am going out anywhere but here," Christine declared, exasperated by our ongoing drama.

"It's not like that," I laughed, trying to ease the tension in the room.

"Anyway, I'm gonna give you two a little time. See you soon," Christine said as she left, her departure offering a moment of privacy.

"See ya," I called after her, watching her go before turning back to Eliot.

As soon as Christine was out of sight, Eliot pulled me into a hug from behind, enveloping me in his warmth.

"Hey!" I exclaimed, a smile spreading across my face at his unexpected gesture.

"Hey yourself," Eliot murmured into my ear, his voice soft and warm against my skin.

I leaned back into his embrace, relishing the sensation of being held in his arms. "You know, you're pretty good at this whole comforting thing," I teased, feeling a sense of ease wash over me in his presence.

Eliot chuckled, the sound sending a shiver down my spine. "Well, I do have my moments," he replied playfully, pressing a gentle kiss to the top of my head.

Closing my eyes, I allowed myself to bask in the moment, grateful for Eliot's unwavering support and the comfort of his embrace.

"You know," Eliot began, his voice low and thoughtful, "despite everything that happened last night, I'm glad I was there for you."

I turned to face him, meeting his gaze with a mixture of gratitude and affection. "I'm glad too, Eliot," I confessed, reaching up to brush a stray lock of hair away from his face.

His eyes softened as he looked at me, a warmth spreading through my chest at the depth of emotion reflected in his gaze.

"Are you ready to go together with me?" I asked. 

His smile faded slightly. 

"What?" I responded, confusion clouding my thoughts.

"I can't go together with you in public, at least for now," he admitted, his expression somber.

My heart sank, the happiness I had felt just moments ago dissipating into thin air.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I questioned, feeling a sense of hurt creeping in.

"I mean, Bethany might be furious if she found out that I was hanging out with you," Eliot explained, his tone apologetic.

"You're the one who said you have nothing to do with her anymore. Why does it have to do with her then?" I countered, unable to comprehend his reasoning.

"I don't want to put you in any difficult situations because of me, Abby. You have to understand where I'm coming from," Eliot pleaded, his voice tinged with desperation.

"And you have to understand me too. We've already confessed our feelings to each other, and yet I can't even show others who I'm in love with. Does that sound normal to you?" I countered, frustration evident in my tone.

"I didn't mean forever, babe. Just for a little while. The exams are coming up in a week, and I don't want any unnecessary stress for you during this period," Eliot explained, his concern evident.

"But that doesn't make sense. You'd be there to protect me, wouldn't you?" I pressed, feeling conflicted.

"Of course, I'll be there. You know I would. Just bear with me through these times, okay?" Eliot pleaded, his eyes searching mine for understanding.

"Alright, we'll stay low-key," I reluctantly agreed, realizing that Eliot's intentions were rooted in care and concern for my well-being.

"Thanks," Eliot said softly as he kissed my forehead. "I'll see you at school," he added before turning to leave.

"See ya," I responded, watching him go with a mixture of emotions swirling inside me.

With Eliot gone, I turned my attention to the present moment. First things first, I needed to shower and get ready for the day ahead.