Second Life

Sunlight passes through the window, causing the person sleeping on the bed to move as she begins to wake up but eventually stops, still feeling sleepy.

A few minutes have passed as the person on the bed still didn't wake up; footsteps could be heard making their way up the stairs to her room. It didn't take long before the door opened and a beautiful woman with her curly brown hair tied in a bun entered. The woman looked at the person on the bed with a loving look on her face and patted that person's face softly.

"Good morning, Lilith, my little princess; it's time to wake up. We still have a lot of work to do today, so get up now and have breakfast," she smiled as she urged that person.

The little girl then moved and slowly opened her eyes. She looked at the surroundings with her sleepy eyes before turning to the woman sitting on her bed. She smiled sweetly and greeted the woman.

"Good morning too, Mother."

The woman she called mother chuckled and carried her small body to sit on her lap and hug her. The child embraces her mother tightly in return, feeling blessed.

"Thank you, Asteria, for giving me a family."

After her conversation with the Goddess of Creation, Asteria, she sent her soul to the world of Athoria to be reincarnated. Athoria is a world that is filled with magic. People here use elements like fire, water, earth, air, light, and darkness. This world is akin to medieval times in her former world, so status is divided between nobles and commoners, but as long as a person is born with mana, they can learn how to manipulate an element. Though this is what they say, there are still distinct differences between the two. Money still matters, even in another world. Nobles have money to buy magic ores, aiding them in cultivating their powers and obtaining other resources too, while commoners are stuck with only little training, limiting their knowledge of magic.

She was born to this woman named Adelia, who was a simple countryside woman. Her mother's homeland is a small country named Ethania. This country is like an island compared to others and depends on the marine for a living. It already falls behind in terms of economy and education, but despite that, she likes it here, as the people here are simple and honest. They didn't point fingers at Adelia for raising a child alone, making this the perfect place for her child to grow happily.

She can't remember most of her memories as an infant, as a child's brain tends to forget these phases of their life. She only began to remember things when she turned 4, and for those before that age, they are completely forgotten.

Her mother, Adelia, was the one who raised her, as far as she remembered. As for her father, she has no memories of him, as he left the two of them when she was only two years old, according to her mother. Adelia didn't seem to harbor any bad feelings towards her father, as she often tells stories about him, like their first meeting, his likes and dislikes, how kind and intelligent he is, and other things too. She thinks her mother doesn't forget about him, and she doesn't want her either. At first, she would listen earnestly, thinking he was away for work only, but when she asked her mother if there was any news about him, her mother would just stay silent, implicating that she didn't know anything about him after he left. Eventually, she stopped asking about her father. Like, who needs an absent father? Her mother did all the work in raising her, so she wouldn't care about such a scumbag.

The two of them, mother and daughter, lived a pretty good life in their village, called Crimson Valley. Their village, found on the west side of Ethania, is famous for its valley of trees and flowers, thus earning the name Crimson Valley. Like the typical countryside, they rely on farming and fishing for food and livelihood. Every time she wakes up in the morning, she likes to spend a few minutes just looking through the window to see this beautiful place, as she can't believe that she is living her dream life.

After her mother helped her tidy up her room, they both went down to the dining room to eat breakfast. Once again, she marveled at the food in front of her. Simple bread slices with eggs, ham, a bowl of fresh salad, and a cup of milk provided by their own-grown cow are her everyday breakfast. This is a luxury compared to her previous world, where food prices were high and she could only eat instant food to lessen her expenses. She slowly chews on her food, savoring the taste of a pollution and chemical-free meal with a look of satisfaction.

Her mother laughs at her look and pinches her white, chubby face. She looks chubbier than most of the children at the age of 5. She couldn't help it. Food is everywhere. Every vegetable, meat, and fruit she eats without discrimination. If an adult person eats like this, they'll think of that person as a hungry pig, but the elders in the village think her toddler self looks cute, being white and chubby. They would smile when they saw her eat, saying it was good for her age to eat a lot and gift her fruits.

"After you finish eating, help me harvest the tomatoes in the backyard, okay? We need to sell the rest to the town in the afternoon," Adelia ordered her as she finished her food. Her mother makes her help with household chores as early as she can, like the village kids, but she is only tasked with doing things that she can for her age.

She nodded cutely while chewing her food and immediately swallowed it.

"Are you going to the field today, Mother? I can help you after I harvest the tomatoes. You know, I can harvest faster now," she said.

Due to her small body, she works very slowly on her first harvest. She felt frustrated at that time, as she was less helpful to her mother. Though she lived until adulthood in her previous life, her instincts, brain, and behavior as a child now still prevail. The goddess really made her live the childhood that she hadn't experienced before. Would she also experience the rebellious stage of puberty? As far as she knows, she was a quiet girl back then; she had to work part-time, so she didn't have the time to be rebellious. She just hopes not, or Adelia will have a hard time.

"I can handle that; we don't have much land anyway. Besides, I don't want you to work hard at such a young age. It was already a big help for me that you are harvesting the vegetables in the backyard." Adelia smiled at her sensible child.

"Well, okay, Mother. Just tell me if you need help. I don't want you to be too tired either," she said, seriously looking like a little adult.

"Yes, yes, my lady..."

Lilith then carries her little wooden wheel borrow made by their village craftsman, Uncle Matthew. She insisted on having her own wheel borrow to transport the vegetables to the basket, as she cannot carry it with her when it piles up. It makes her work easy. Equip with her little farmer's hat and overall suit with boots, she is ready for work.

Adelia watches her cute little daughter as she walks (waddles) her way to the backyard. This so-called farmer's outfit was introduced to her by Lilith after her first harvest, saying it would protect her from dirt and sun while working. At first, she was a little suspicious about the look, as there was never a design like this anywhere. But she still sews the clothes as she is instructed and weaves the hat, as her little fingers cannot even twist the straws together. She smiled, remembering her daughter's proud little face as she presented to her the final look of the clothes as if she were the one who made them.

Their neighbors laugh said it was a child's short game like playing dresses, but as she looked at Lilith working, she realized the advantages it brought. Her face and head can be shielded from the sun's heat by the hat. One should know that they only cover their heads by tying some clothes around, which makes it hotter as the fabrics are thick while the hat made of straw is lighter, thinner, and there is no need to wash. The work clothes can be taken off anytime, while the boots are easy to clean. She didn't know where her daughter got this idea, but it is so useful that even their village chief, Uncle Arman, sees it. He asks her to discuss it this evening at their house, and she plans to take her daughter to see if she has any other ideas. She might be a child, but she didn't plan on underestimating her ideas.

Adelia thought of this as she walked to the fields.