Short Stack

4:00Am but this time there was less screaming some soldiers had gotten up before being woken up made their beds before being told and polished their boots. Today was just another day of training in their 180-day waiting period with the humans. They were lined up for roll call and sorted by height. They each took their partners and went into the shooting range. Being sorted by height. It wasn't just for random partners it was also to get training for bigger and stronger opponents for the shorter ones and smaller and faster opponents for the taller people. River was only 5'6 so her matchup was a pretty tall guy. When Axel announced their pairings she found out that this brute's name was Zelda.

Zelda felt bad for short people they had so much they couldn't do. Zelda stood at a respectable 5'11 himself so being short was something he could only try to empathize with, but this damn kid moved like a bat out of Tartarus. As it turns out they were paired together for 1v1 paintball. Zelda didn't know who this girl was but the speed she moved at was incredible. Every shot he took missed by so much that he started doubting himself. He kept looking for a way to win. "Game goes to 5 after that send the next group in" he remembered Axel saying, and he had already been hit 4 times. He felt a presence behind him and swung towards it grabbing River's arm and shaking her gun out of her hand. River reached with her other hand but Zelda kicked it away. "Finally!" he says exhaustively.

River cracks a smile "Dammit." She says to herself

"Sorry," Zelda says

"It's fine." Zelda shoots four pellets into the girl's stomach. Before Zelda could fire the last pellet River tripped him grabbed his gun and shot him in the back of the head for her final point of the match.

"Good play man," Zelda says as River pulls him off his butt.

Arachne was a part of the second group she was paired with a very intimidating girl. This girl towered over her with a look that could kill. What Arachne couldn't see was that Energy was just about as scared of her as she was of them. Energy's nerves were at an all-time high as she stressed about every possible way she could lose. The battle started and both girls put their plans into action. Arachne wasn't a cheerleader for just any reason and she knew it so she planned to use her agility and light footedness to get to her opponent and end them quickly. Energy couldn't bear to be moving right now her knees felt wobbly and she felt sick to her stomach. She decided to take perch in a tree and asked Lieutenant Axel for a helping hand. "Could I have a different weapon ma'am?" Energy said before her match started

"Like what?" The lieutenant said

"A sniper" Now here she was on a strangely quiet battlefield waiting on her enemy to peek their head out and get it shot off. The moment never seemed to come until Energy decided to spin around in the tree to surveil her other side and there she was, Arachne blissfully unaware that you could hide in trees as Energy did so they did what they would learn to do best. Energy gunned Arachne down without ever being noticed. With Energy being 6 feet the 6-inch height difference never mattered.

Due to there being an uneven amount of people the last group went with three people Okilios, Six, and Geia. Each of them was 5,10 or 5'8 respectively. Geia was the underdog as the two boys planned on knocking her out first to face each other head-on, and so the chase began. Geia darted towards cover as she was inches away from being hit in the first five seconds. She didn't have much to go off of so she used the two things she could rely on her dodging and her aim. She popped out of her cover and dinked Okilios in the head rapidly firing enough bullets to kill him three times over. He lay on the ground fake dead, committing to the bit. He dropped his gun and Geia picked it up ready to chase down her enemy. Six got off a shot in her back, disrupting her balance for a bit but when she found out where he was she gunned him down and claimed her victory. They all got together to talk about their matches later. The victors are congratulated and the losers are consoled. After a surprisingly long time living very close together, they all learned each other's names and started to get used to each other's faces.