Chapter 16: Sunsetz

Sunsetz - Cigarettes After Sex

★・・・・・・★

JULIANNA'S POV

The Miami Grand Prix is buzzing, and absolutely teeming with excitement and anticipation. Charles had a spin in one of the practice sessions, but qualifying and sprint went well enough fro him to be satisfied going into the race. I'm sitting next to Kika above the paddock, and we're making casual conversation.

"Do you usually feel nervous for Pierre before the races?" I ask her, because I always feel my heart in my stomach before the lights go off.

"Of course," she answers. "I mean, I know they've made the sport as safe as possible, but it's hard to believe that when they're going two-hundred miles an hour in an open cockpit car in this heat,"

I giggle. "I know. I get so nervous every time. I just thought maybe you got used to it, since you and Pierre have been together for a while now,"

"It never gets old," she says. "This is your second live Grand Prix?"

"Yea," I answer. "But it's seriously been so fun,"

"I know!" she exclaims. "The hospitality is so great— and Pierre's fans love me too, it's so sweet,"

"For real," I agree. "Free champagne everywhere, and the fans are so excited; it's contagious. I don't know what they think of me, though,"

"Charles hasn't asked you to be his girlfriend yet?" Kika seems surprised.

"Nope," I sigh, "I even brought him to meet my mother a couple days back in Nice,"

Kika frowns. "Man,"

"Yeah," I sigh again.

"Maybe he's just waiting for the right time. You know Charles, he's a perfectionist," Kika reassures.

"I hope so. I mean, Charles wouldn't play me like that right?"

"Absolutely not!" Kika gives me a soft slap on the shoulder. "If he does, he'll never hear the end of it from me and Pierre,"

"Thank you, for real," I say.

"It's the least I should do for a friend, Julie," Kika smiles warmly at me. "Race is about to start,"

We settle into our seats, and start watching.

★・・・・・・★