CHAPTER 1

⋆⋆⋆⋆

⋆⋆⋆⋆

Kelly walked into the White House with her sense of direction automatically taking her where she needed to go. She bypassed one of the agents after showing him her badge, proceeding through the west wing. While smoothing out her blazer, she briefly glanced up, but had to do a double take.

Leon stood to the side, eyeing her as she passed him. He wore his signature suit kept in mint condition like always, paired with a white button up. He pushed himself off the wall and joined her side as they continued toward their destination.

"So much for sleep, huh?" He said.

She nodded. "Yeah."

They further traveled down the hall, brief silence lingering over their heads.

"Paperwork put on the back burner until then?" She inquired.

"Yup."

As they walked, Kelly caught Leon ogling her in her peripheral vision. She kept her composure, forcing her eyes to stay focused ahead of her.

"Don't look at me like that," she told him in a hushed voice. "We aren't the only ones here, you know."

He presented a subtle delectable smirk, talking to her just as quietly. "I know. Doesn't mean I can't secretly admire you."

"You just saw me three hours ago."

"You never know what three hours away from a man's significant other can do to him."

Kelly let out a faint scoff, shaking her head at him. Before long, the two reached the Oval Office. A man waiting by the door let himself in, followed by Leon and Kelly. Inside the space, there were secretaries on the phone while a couple of other agents were led outside by a security guard. By the tone of everyone's conversation, it must've been more serious than they thought.

"They're here, sir," he addressed the man in charge.

President Graham himself sat behind his desk with his hands clasped in a presentable manner. He nodded at the agent, who in turn, ushered everyone out, leaving the three of them alone.

"Agents, I apologize for calling you in at this hour, but I'm glad you could make it under these circumstances," he said, rising from his chair and finishing buttoning up his suit jacket.

"It's no problem, Mr. President," Kelly stated.

Leon spoke next, asking the question that's been on their minds. "Is everything alright, sir? It feels like a circus in here."

His expression wavered. The man picked up a case file, and without saying a word, he walked over to the two and handed it over.

"A few days ago, my daughter Ashley was supposed to return home from school. We suspect that she's been abducted by an insider who had knowledge of her detail."