Chapter 4

Sunlight flashes into my eyes, brightening up the darkness and I jolted awake. Looking around cautiously with my blurry gaze. Did I just sleep through the whole night?

Horrific memories from last night flash into my mind like fireworks, one after another. My hand came down to the couch and I sat up straight. That creature. Was it just an illustration, but the blood stain was real for sure? I even smelled and held it.

My head got heated with thoughts piling up. A crash from upstairs caused me to flinch in my spot and come to reality. I immediately searched for the knife beside me, while my gaze was busy looking for something around the corners and up the gloomy stairs. A few minutes passed with my hand hopelessly searching for the shape of a knife, but I couldn't find it.

I shifted my gaze down and my eyes widened when I didn't see any knife near me. I was sure that I was holding it yesterday night. Did I accidentally push it down? Wishing my thought will be the reason. I got up and knelt down.

My hand went underneath the couch and searched around for the knife. Only picking up dust instead. I frowned and pulled my hand back. Wiping off the dust using my shirt. Where did it go? Panic surged within me and I stood up.

I was starting to feel the regret on why I decided to stay, I paced around the living room. I felt like I was losing my mind. I groaned and powered over to the kitchen to find the same knife. Placed neatly on the counter beside the kitchen. Almost welcoming me to pick it up. I hesitated and felt my heart drop to my stomach.

Who in the hell placed it here? Regardless, I picked it up and inspected it for some reason until I felt a cold rush of wind along with the knife that was thrown inches away from my head.

I gasped and took a few steps aside. The knife tip was perfectly stuck in the wooden window frame I was just standing next to.

Whoever threw it didn't want to kill me yet wanted to scare me to death, and I was breathing heavily. Feeling lightheaded, I leaned on the counter.

Enough was enough. I built up the courage along with my burning hate and curiosity. I ran to the living room and upstairs. The light no longer shined in once I was up since the windows were barricaded with wooden planks.

Taking my sweet time going through each of the three rooms upstairs. The first room almost looked like a mini-library with bookshelves everywhere and a medium bed.

The second was a normal room but smaller than the first one. Lastly, the third room seemed like it was the classic master bedroom. I let out a heavy sigh after searching the last room and couldn't find any sign of a living being, other than dusty furniture and spider webs. I needed help and was losing hope, and the person I could think of who could help me right now was.

"Are you serious?" he placed his cup of tea down and pulled up his sliding, fogged-up glasses using his fingertip. Matthew. My past college closest friend I had until I decided to drop college. "Yeah. I feel like," I leaned closer and so did he. "I have a stalker." Instead of the serious reaction I was expecting, he gave a light yet charming chuckle.

My stomach turned a little at the sight, but I glared at him. "Not funny. You should be in my position to feel what I am going through." I snapped, and he raised both of his hands in a sign of defeat. "Calm down, firecracker," I watched him lean back in his seat and finally think.

While he was busy at it, I couldn't help but notice all his features. He was a nerdy type in college, but now he had taken care of himself quite well.

He caught my gaze and gave a teasing smirk but got back to the topic. "If you can't move out. How about I move in?" I couldn't believe what I was hearing and scoffed.

"Yeah right. My boyfriend would kill me if he found out about that."
"I know. Then don't tell." He simply answered and took another sip of his tea.

"Free bodyguard service, think about it." He ran his finger through his light brown hair and I cleared my throat, obviously considering it. "Update me by this week and I have some work left to do now, firecracker." I nodded and he stood up and took his coat from the chair. "Bye?" I looked at him and he waved before exiting the shop.

I blinked a few times when my eyes fell on a dollar bill tucked beneath the drink he ordered. My lips curled up into an appreciative smile, but I kept his money in my purse and paid the bill with my own.

Not feeling comfortable going back to that house alone, I went to a hotel nearby. I nervously walked up to the counter and pressed the bell to call the staff. A few minutes later, I was welcomed by a brunette with a big smile.

She gave me the keys to the free rooms available. I chose a room on the second floor and watched her check the price. She stated the price, and I raised my eyebrows.

The price was more expensive than I thought. I doubted having that much money left as my hands opened my purse slowly.

Luckily for me, I had enough and thanks to William, extra cash too. I placed the bill on the counter with a smile and she took it. "Enjoy your stay," she bowed her head slightly, and I wasn't used to this much respect, so I did the same. Feeling embarrassed, I quickly rushed over to the elevator.

The elevator came to the lobby. I opened the gate before walking in and closing it after me. The air and space inside felt suffocating. I tried to calm down while watching the elevator doors close and go up the floor slowly. It reached the second floor after what felt like hours.

I quickly opened the gate and closed it. Walking down the hallway that seemed to dim every second. "190," I kept muttering my room door number to myself while watching each door number plate ascending. I stopped near my room door and unlocked it.

The door struggled to open at first, but with a slight powerful push, the door swung open. I almost stumbled over but caught my balance. It smelled like lavender in the room as I stepped in and closed the door.

Something other than an old rusty smell and dust. I stepped forward and passed by a painting that for a second I thought the eyes followed my movement. I stopped and analyzed it. It was a guy handing out roses to a girl with an eerie smile. Feeling creepy chills from it, I turned it over with a confused frown.