Chapter 2

As Millia woke to the gentle caress of morning light in the courtyard, she felt a sense of déjà vu enveloping her, much like every day since she had become Kenny's wife. The air carried the familiar scent of their wolf clan, mingled with Kenny's earthy aroma and the comforting fragrance of the wooden surroundings, reminding her of their intimate nights.

With a sigh of relief, Millia found everything unchanged in the room. Yet, she couldn't shake off the weariness weighing on her, head still heavy with the remnants of last night's revelry. How had she returned home? The memories eluded her, leaving her anxious about Heidi's well-being.

In the dining room, the dying embers of the fire greeted her, alongside a spread of bread, but Kenny was nowhere to be seen. Perhaps he had left early to prepare for the anticipated visit from the southern tribe.

As she brewed a pot of tea and nibbled on bread, Millia found her appetite diminished by last night's indulgence. Nevertheless, she needed sustenance for her upcoming visit to the temple.

A knock on the door stirred her from her thoughts. Could it be Mrs. Bell? Millia hurried to answer, only to find Ellie, Kenny's loyal attendant, looking visibly distressed. He rushed to inform her of the arrival of the southern tribe, but Kenny was conspicuously absent.

Millia's heart skipped a beat. Where could Kenny have gone? Even if he ventured out for a hunt, he wouldn't have done so alone. Strangely, Ellie's anxiety helped to steady her nerves. According to tradition, she could step in to fulfill some of Kenny's duties.

Rushing to change into a somber black robe, symbolizing their wolf clan, Millia grabbed a simple black gemstone ring before hurrying to the tribal hall with Ellie and the guards.

Inside, the hall remained cool despite the burgeoning heat outside. The walls adorned with trophies of the wolf clan's valor created an ambiance of solemnity. Everyone awaited the arrival of the southern tribe.

Choosing to ignore Gabriel's inquisitive gaze, Millia turned her attention to the awaiting visitors. The leader of the southern tribe, a weathered warrior, stood with his sons and clan members, prepared to discuss their visit with Millia.

Milia eased her stride, deliberately slowing her pace and adopting a composed demeanor. With an air of casual confidence, she headed straight for her fellow tribespeople, nodding to Elder Gabriel before turning to face the newcomers. She paid no heed to Gabriel's skeptical gaze.

The leader of the Southern Cheno Wolf Tribe was a towering warrior, around forty years old, with hair as stiff as steel spikes and a face etched with several prominent scars. His rough palm bore a ring inset with a fiery red gemstone, the unmistakable emblem of the wolf tribe's leader. Behind him stood two young men, one a spitting image of him, the other with darker skin and curly hair tied in a ponytail. Around a dozen tribal members, both men and women, accompanied them.

Milia's arrival caused a brief pause in the proceedings. Before Gabriel could make introductions, the imposing man with the fiery ring spoke up icily, "Where's Kenny?" He shot a cold glance at Milia, his companions mirroring his indifferent expression. A figure resembling a messenger chimed in, "Leader Thomas, I confirmed yesterday that we would arrive early at the city-state of Lawrence. Kenny's leader assured us he'd be waiting outside the city gates to greet you. Elder Gabriel, you were there and heard it, right?"

Clearing his throat, Gabriel attempted to ignore the messenger and turned to introduce Milia. Indeed, they were Thomas, leader of the Chino tribe, his eldest son Walga, and another young man named Ethan, a guard. Marpol, the messenger, and other warriors stood nearby.

Milia instructed Ailey to bring out the tribe's prepared welcome gifts and present them to the visitors. These gifts, local specialties from the Lawrence Forest, were savory preserved meats seasoned with unique herbs, highly esteemed throughout the land.