Chapter 26

Osha had to be more direct to convey the subtle implications to Liam, "Who informed Annia of my departure to the realm of the gods? It's strange enough that she can reside there, but who is giving her information?"

"It seems her relationship with the gods is extraordinary," Liam realized.

"It's even possible that, for some reason, she is doing things the gods want. Of course, this is just my speculation," Osha waved his hand. "I think it's best for us to forget these speculations for now and see how things unfold."

Liam nodded. So far, Annia had been very peculiar. Everything she did had not been accomplished, nor had it been pursued, but this situation could not continue indefinitely.

After leaving the temple, Liam returned to the camp and called for Alec. He instructed him to go to Milia's clinic with this astonishing news, "Remember, on the way, let Heidi go to Milia's place too. Let them discuss it, and don't rush to oppose High Priest Osha's arrangement." Liam instructed Alec carefully.

When Heidi arrived, Millia had just returned from gathering herbs outside the city walls. They exchanged a knowing glance, embraced, then walked side by side into Millia's modest clinic.

As Millia brewed tea and prepared small biscuits in the dining area, Heidi shared the priests' recent discoveries. "I've been pondering this for a while, but perhaps we've been misguided from the start," Millia said, handing Heidi a steaming cup of tea and taking a sip herself. "She targeted me right from the outset."

Heidi furrowed her brow, looking puzzled. "Do you have any prior acquaintance with this annia? Perhaps some past conflict during your youthful wanderings across the continents?"

Millia shook her head. "No, I've pondered this as well. I truly do not know this annia; she seems to have appeared out of thin air. I've had William investigate as well. She arrived in Lawrence City merely a few years ago, accompanied by that paralyzed old man, claiming they sought refuge with relatives from the northern tribes. Of course, this is undoubtedly a fabrication."

"How then have you earned her ire? What could she seek in retaliation against you? Surely, it couldn't be related to Kenny?"

"No, it appears she harbors no genuine feelings towards Kenny."

The two women conversed in hushed tones over their tea for a considerable time until Alec arrived with news concerning Liam. Seeing Heidi present, he smiled with relief. "Heidi, I was just about to seek you out. Liam suggests it would be best for you and Millia to confer."

"Oh, what's happened?"

"Startling news! annia has somehow persuaded the High Priest and Liam to allow Millia to treat her father, Morrison, who is incarcerated and afflicted with madness."

"What?" Both women placed their tea cups on the table simultaneously, confirming Millia's earlier suspicions. annia was indeed targeting Millia.

"And on my way here, I encountered several brothers who were on duty at the city gate today. They reported seeing annia entering the city in the morning, unimpeded."

"Very well, allow me to go meet with her," Millia stood up, and Heidi followed suit. "Or perhaps I should accompany you. This individual may prove difficult to handle."

"Fear not, we shall ensure her safety," Alec reassured them, his enthusiasm palpable since being promoted to squad leader by Liam a few days prior.

"You go first to the temple, ascertain if the High Priest has any directives. I shall be fine with the leader," Millia consoled Heidi, hastily grabbing a coat and exiting with Alec.