Three

It was dark in Roth's room, but that didn't stop him from looking at the crumpled linen cloth on his bedside table. He'd looked at it a few times now, reliving the moment when Evie gave his gift in his mind. Only a few crumbs were left, as he'd eaten all the biscuits.

She'd told him she'd made them for him. Specially for him. And she'd spent all morning doing it. For him. What did that say? One didn't just do something like that for anyone, did they?

The orc took a breath and sighed, thinking about those eyes. And her smile. And her hair, her hands, and her soft pink skin.

She'd told so much about herself these past few days, and he remembered everything. Every little detail. Some things were so much her, like how she had already been trying to care for wounded animals when she was younger. But other bits surprised him. She mentioned she didn't like cheese. Who doesn't like cheese?

"I don't know why," she'd said, "but it disgusts me."

He thought it was strange, but he could forgive her for that flaw. Because she was so adorable.

It was already midnight, and tomorrow he'd have to get up early again. He cupped his face with his hands and rubbed his skin before he rolled around. He firmly closed his eyes. "Now sleep, you dumbass."

***"I need you to pick up Milre after school," Roth's mother announced during breakfast. "She's having half the day off because of some human holiday or whatever."

While Roth would do anything for his littlest sister, this request meant that he probably wouldn't be in time for his walk with Evie. He wasn't thrilled with that news. "Oh—"

"I can take her there, but I can't pick her up," Hiso stated, looking at her son over her shoulder while she was frying a few eggs for him.

"But—"

"I know you've been going to work earlier lately to warm up before your match, but I would hope ten minutes don't make a difference." Hiso turned around with the pan in her hand and looked at Roth. She would not take no for an answer.

"Yeah, uh—"

"You know she can't go alone, and I need to stay in the factory until late today. My boss expects it, and you know I can't afford to lose my job."

His mother was always worried about money, and her worries weren't for nothing because the family couldn't make it with Roth's salary alone. Not since his father had passed away a few years ago.

Roth sighed. "Okay, Ma. Of course, I'll pick her up."

"Thank you, my darling." Hiso walked over to her only son and filled his plate with leftover chicken and a few fried eggs and bacon. "I know I ask a lot from you every day."

"Well, it's my duty as the only man in this house." That much was true.

"Still... I will never forget. And Milre and your other sisters will not forget either."

"I know." He smiled. "You always make sure they don't."

"Exactly." Hiso sat down next to him. "Family always comes first, but they shouldn't take your help for granted."

His baby sister was eighteen, seven years younger than him, and the only orc in his family who was lucky enough to be able to attend school.

"It's important that she succeeds," Roth replied. "And I want to help her with it."

He meant that.

There were not many orcs who could study, but his baby sister had a big brain. She inspired many others in Glassville Pines. An orc would soon be thriving in a field usually only reserved for humans. It was a big thing.