CHAPTER 9

LOVELY

Thought I found a way out (found)
But Thought I found a way out (found)
But you never go away (never go away)
So I guess I gotta stay now

Oh, I hope some day I'll make it out of here
Even if it takes all night or a hundred years
Need a place to hide, but I can't find one near
Wanna feel alive, outside I can't fight my fear

Isn't it lovely, all alone?
Heart made of glass, my mind of stone
Tear me to pieces, skin to bone

______________________________________

FLORA POV:

"Why is there so much darkness in the room? Mom, mom!! Where are you??" I heard the sound of the door being opened. "Who is it?" As the door opened, I saw my stepfather standing there. He was looking at me with a scary smile, which made my whole body shiver.

"Your mother is in heaven, my dear daughter," he said, taking small steps forward. His hands were behind his back, as if he was holding something.

"No, that's not true. You have only hidden my mother," I said, crying.

"Do you want to meet her? No problem, my baby. I will let you meet her in just a few seconds," he said, bringing his hands forward. It was my pillow, which my mother had stitched for me.

"What are you going to do??" I was just crying. His every step made me uncomfortable, and it felt like I couldn't breathe properly in his presence.

"Meet her and tell her that I miss her so much," he said while putting that pillow on my face and pushing me onto the bed. I can't breathe. I tried to kick him with my legs and remove the pillow using my hands, but I couldn't. What can a 12-year-old do to a huge man? I don't want to die.

My heart was racing as I tried to grab anything within reach to fend off the attacker, but suddenly, the sound of the alarm jolted me awake. I opened my eyes quickly, disoriented and confused. It took me a few seconds to realize that I was in my own room, and that it had all been a nightmare. I took a deep breath and tried to calm myself, but my whole body was covered in sweat, despite the air conditioning being on. My t-shirt was drenched and sticking to my skin. I sat down on the edge of my bed, struggling to get my bearings, and reached out to turn off the alarm. As I did, I saw that I had missed three calls from my friend, Becky. Today was the day that I lost one of the most precious people in my life, my mother, and I had promised to visit her grave. I couldn't shake the memory of her bright smile and the way her eyes always lit up when she saw me. I wondered why God always seemed to test me like this. With a heavy heart, I picked up my phone to call Becky back.

"Hey! Sorry to disturb you today. We need you to come to the office. One of our important clients wants to talk to you about the accounting process. Can you come?" Becky asked with a hint of worry in her voice.

"No problem, Becky. I'll come to the office first," I replied.

"I'm sorry to disturb you. I know how important today is to you, but they really want to talk to you, and I can't tell them no," Becky said, still sounding a little apologetic.

"Don't feel bad. I know you've tried. I'll be there in 30 minutes," I reassured her.
I woke up with a sense of urgency and quickly got out of bed. After a refreshing shower, I changed into a simple yet elegant outfit - a black full-sleeved top paired with high-waisted jeans. Before leaving for work, I grabbed a bunch of important files and a sandwich for breakfast. As usual, Krit was waiting at my door, owing to Ezra's presence. Although I usually prefer not to take his help, today I needed to reach the office on time, so I reluctantly hopped into his car. Sitting at the back seat, I began to skim through the client files, making sure I was well-prepared for the day ahead.