Awakening the Triad

The sun hung low in the sky as Greigh and I made our way toward the palace, its towering spires looming like ancient sentinels. Each step felt heavier than the last, the weight of our shared secrets and newfound fears pressing upon me. The air buzzed with tension, thick with the sense of something momentous about to unfold.

"Are you sure we should be doing this?" I asked, glancing at Greigh, whose expression was a mix of determination and anxiety.

"We need answers," she replied, her voice steady despite the tremor beneath. "If Lord Kormidore is a threat, we can't sit back and hope it all just goes away. We have to talk to the queen."

I nodded, trying to muster confidence but feeling a knot in my stomach. The way the queen is painted deems her as a figure of strength and wisdom. Would she really listen to us? Would she understand the depth of our predicament?

As we approached the grand entrance, towering doors carved with intricate designs loomed before us, a silent invitation into a world of secrets and power. Greigh pushed the door open, and we stepped into the vast foyer, the marble floors gleaming under the golden light of chandeliers overhead.

A guard stationed by the entrance regarded us with a mixture of curiosity and authority. "State your business," he commanded, his voice deep and imposing.

"We seek an audience with the queen," Greigh said, her voice firm despite the quaver beneath it.

The guard's brow furrowed, but he stepped aside, gesturing for us to enter. "Proceed. She is expecting you."

We exchanged a nervous glance before moving deeper into the palace. The hallways were adorned with tapestries depicting grand battles and mythical creatures, a testament to the history of our realm. As I walked, a flicker of recognition washed over me; these images seemed to dance at the edge of my memory, as if I had witnessed them before.

"I don't know why they have to act all serious. Ashta is literally my sister." Greigh scoffs.

"Woah...so you're royalty?" I inquire.

"I mean yes...but it doesn't matter if I'm not queen." Greigh says.

Finally, we reached the grand throne room, where the queen sat regally on her throne, her presence commanding and serene. Her dark hair cascaded around her shoulders, framing a face that was both familiar and foreign. I felt a rush of emotions; she was a figure from my childhood dreams, yet now seemed so distant, so unreachable.

"Welcome, ladies," the queen said, her voice melodic but laced with an underlying gravity.

My breath caught in my throat.

"Sit," the queen instructed, gesturing toward two chairs before her throne. "There is much to discuss."

As we took our seats, my mind raced with questions, but I felt a strange compulsion to wait, to hear what the queen would reveal.

"I have felt a disturbance in the balance of our worlds," the queen began, her gaze piercing through us. "It is no coincidence that you have encountered Lord Kormidore. He seeks to disrupt the fragile peace that exists between our dimensions."

I lean forward. "But why us? What does he want with me? How did you know about this?"

The queen hesitated, her expression softening. "Clover, you are not just a human. You are part Balievian. Your very essence connects you to our realm, just as it does your sister."

"Wait," I interjected, my heart racing. "Sister? You mean we're related?"

The queen nodded slowly, the weight of her words heavy in the air. "We are triplets. Born of a union meant to bridge our worlds—one human, one Balievian. Your fate is intertwined."