2 - Leveradge

Celeste

*********

February 24th, Sunday

The hall was filled with people, all dressed to the nines. Under the golden lights the velvet green and burgundy dresses shone like jewels.

From the overlook the view was wonderful. I found myself staring at the people below, conversing with one another. I had always been fascinated by the subtle ways in which one may communicate. It is as little as a lightly delivered smile, sometimes.

My thoughts were interrupted by the brush of a hand on my arm and the cold tingling left in its tracks.

"Well, I suspect you're not really the life of the party, are you." Ace said, leaning on the barrister beside me. I smiled, relieved that I finally had someone to talk to. These kinds of events could only offer the most dull conversations.

"Oh, I really despise it." I said, matter of fact. "And, to make matters worse, this dress is terribly uncomfortable."

"Well, if it makes you feel any better, you look exceptional." Ace said and though I was not looking at him, I could tell a sly smile was forming on his lips.

"It does not."

"Right, well." Ace continued, handing me a glass of wine. "You should go down there. Make some acquaintances. And try to avoid running into the Wittons."

I stopped swirling the wine and turned to look at Ace. I hadn't known they were coming.

"I'm surprised they even had the courage to show their faces here with what their son did," I heard Ace say. But it doesn't require courage so much as it requires money and affluence. Affluent people can have traitor sons and still come to the district meeting. I of all people should know that.

"Who's that?" I asked, referring to the girl who had been talking to my father for the past fifteen minutes. Or rather, listening. He had a habit of going on about something for so long, it numbed your mind.

"Who?" Ace asked and I realized I was likely the only one who had been staring at her the whole time. Though, I understand if I hadn't. She had something captivating to her. Like she could keep the whole room under the tip of her white heel.

"The girl in the pink dress." I say.

"Tabitha Monroe. The daughter of William Monroe, southern district overseer."

Something within me struck a spark and I downed the wine in one go. Smoothing down my uncomfortable dress, I made my way down the stairs. When I arrived where my father and Tabitha were standing, their conversation seemed to halt.

"Ah, Tabitha. This is my daughter, Celestine. She is to be the district commander of the western and northern districts."

"Pleased to meet you." Tabitha said and shook my hand. Before long, my father found himself occupied in another conversation and he wandered off, scotch dancing in his left hand as always in such events.

"I sure hope he didn't bore you too much. If only you knew the preaching I listen to at supper every day." I said.

"Oh not at all, I'm certainly humble for the opportunity- '' Tabitha started, looking perhaps embarrassed that I had noticed her boredom. You didn't want to look bored around my father.

"Oh, it's fine really. You don't have to lie." I laughed, and stared down into my wine glass, looking for courage. "I won't tell anyone."

Tabitha smiled and I noticed her eyes were a deep shade of green, see through in a way. I must have been staring for too long.