PROLOGUE

The air crackled with a nervous energy that had nothing to do with the static clinging to Thaddeus's worn camera strap. He squeezed through the throng of excited students, his lean build a familiar comfort as he navigated the celebratory chaos. Today's assignment, covering the inter-school painting competition's winner's announcement, felt oddly personal. Maybe it was the way his heart hammered against his ribs, or the sudden dryness in his mouth.

He finally reached the stage, a makeshift platform pulsating with cheers and flashing smartphone cameras. But Thaddeus's gaze bypassed the gleaming trophy and the school banner held aloft by jubilant seniors. Instead, it landed on the guy standing there, bathed in the spotlight.

There he was, a junior with a shock of dark hair that defied gravity and bright eyes that sparkled with a shy joy. He held himself with a quiet confidence, a stark contrast to the exuberant celebration around him. Even from afar, Thaddeus could sense an intensity simmering beneath the surface, a quiet passion that mirrored the fiery hues of the winning painting displayed behind him.

Thaddeus raised his camera, the familiar weight grounding him. As he zoomed in, the raw emotions on the guy's face held him captive. The shy smile tugging at the corners of the guy's lips, the way his gaze flickered nervously towards the crowd, the hint of surprise in his eyes as he met Thaddeus's gaze through the lens – it was all a captivating mix of vulnerability and strength.

Suddenly, the click of a hundred phone cameras filled the air, shattering the intimate focus Thaddeus had created. He lowered his camera, a slight blush creeping up his neck. He wasn't used to being captivated by his subjects, preferring to observe from a safe distance, hidden behind the lens. But there was something about the guy, an intangible quality that drew Thaddeus in like a moth to a flame.

"Great shot, I presume?" A voice, light and melodic, startled him. Thaddeus looked up to find the guy standing before him, the trophy cradled in his arm. Now, up close, Thaddeus could see the way the guy's smile softened the sharp angles of his jaw, and the flecks of gold that danced in his inquisitive eyes.

"Uh, yeah," Thaddeus stammered, feeling the heat rise further in his face. "For the school paper."

The guy's smile faded slightly. "Oh, right. Congratulations are in order, I guess." He gestured awkwardly to the trophy.

"No worries," Thaddeus reassured him, a flicker of something warm settling in his chest. "Your painting was incredible."

A genuine appreciation shone in the guy's eyes, but also a hint of surprise. "Thanks. I, uh, don't usually do interviews or get my picture taken."

"No worries," Thaddeus repeated, his voice perhaps a touch too eager. "Just a couple of quick photos, and you're golden."

The next few minutes were a blur of activity. Thaddeus captured the guy holding the trophy, posing with other art club members, even a candid shot of him gazing thoughtfully at his own artwork.

As the crowd slowly dispersed, Thaddeus lingered, his fingers itching to capture one more image. But this time, it wasn't for the school paper. He cleared his throat, a question burning on his tongue.

"Hey," he began hesitantly, "do you mind if I... maybe take a picture of you with your artwork? Just you, you know, lost in your own world."

The guy's gaze flickered back to the painting, a contemplative expression gracing his features. He then turned to Thaddeus, a playful glint in his eyes. Thaddeus's breath hitched. This wasn't just about the art anymore. This was about a connection, a chance to capture not just the winning artist, but the enigmatic guy with a world of colors both on canvas and in his eyes.

"Sure," the guy said, a hint of a smile playing on his lips. "But this time, let me see the picture before it goes to print, okay?"

The unexpected request sent a jolt of excitement through Thaddeus. This was more than just a photo opportunity. It was a bridge between the quiet photographer and the celebrated artist, a bridge built on stolen glances, nervous smiles, and a shared appreciation for capturing beauty – both on film and on canvas.

"Deal," Thaddeus grinned, his heart pounding a happy rhythm against his ribs.

The guy walked towards his painting, his dark curls bouncing with each step. Thaddeus raised his camera, a newfound purpose driving his movements. This wasn't just about documenting an event; it was about capturing a new beginning.