CHAPTER ONE

THE SCENT OF STALE COFFEE and fixer hung heavy in the air, a familiar aroma that usually sparked a comforting nostalgia in Thaddeus. But today, as he stood amidst the dusty trophies and framed certificates crowding the shelves of the photography club room, a different feeling gnawed at him – a suffocating sense of dread.

His gaze lingered on a chipped golden plaque mounted on the wall, its inscription proclaiming their club’s first-place win at the National Intercollegiate Photography Competition two years ago. Back then, the room buzzed with passionate energy. Clicks of camera shutters and excited chatter filled the air as members, from seasoned veterans to wide-eyed freshmen, honed their skills and shared their love for the art form.

A wry smile tugged at Thaddeus’s lips as he recalled the countless late nights spent hunched over developing trays, the thrill of capturing a fleeting moment in perfect focus, and the camaraderie that bloomed under the flickering glow of the darkroom lights. But those days seemed like a distant dream.

Now, the shelves held the weight of a fading legacy. Membership dwindled over the years, replaced by the allure of flashier clubs and the ever-present lure of social media filters. Today, only a handful of students, including himself, remained.

The university had issued a harsh ultimatum: recruit ten new members by the end of the week, or face disbandment. The weight of the club’s future rested heavily on Thaddeus’s shoulders, the once gleaming trophies now mocking symbols of a fading passion.
He slammed his fist on the counter, the sudden noise echoing in the cavernous silence of the room. This wasn't just about saving a club; it was about preserving a space for creativity, for learning, and for the shared joy of capturing the world through a lens. He wouldn't let their legacy gather dust alongside those forgotten trophies.

A determined glint replaced the previous disquiet in his eyes. He grabbed a fresh stack of flyers, his movements imbued with a newfound sense of purpose. However, a generic appeal wouldn't suffice. He needed something that captured the essence of the club, something that resonated with that yearning to see the world differently, to translate fleeting moments into stories, and to find beauty in the ordinary. He needed a message that spoke to the soul of a budding photographer, not just their social media feed.

He closed his eyes for a moment, picturing the way light danced on raindrops, the way a single perfect shot could evoke a kaleidoscope of emotions. A spark ignited within him. He knew what he had to do. With renewed energy, Thaddeus set about crafting a message that wouldn't just fill a quota, but would reignite a passion within the hearts of potential new members.

He started scribbling on a flier, his mind buzzing with a new tagline: Click. Create. Connect. - Join the Photography Club. A vision filled his mind - a room overflowing with eager students, their faces lit by the glow of developing trays, cameras clutched in hands ready to translate the ordinary into extraordinary. The future of the club was uncertain, but for the first time in days, Thaddeus felt a flicker of hope. He wouldn't let the photography club fade into obscurity. He would fight to keep the shutter open on their shared passion.

[ ◉¯] [ ◉¯] [ ◉¯]

THE MIDDAY SUN BEAT DOWN like a blacksmith’s hammer, turning the concrete quadrangle of the university into a shimmering expanse. Sweat beaded on Thaddeus’ forehead, stinging his eyes as he stared out at the vibrant chaos of club fair day. The scene was a cacophony of shouts, laughter, and music that mocked the desolate silence at his own table—the table of the photography club.