13

It was Friday night, and the girls found themselves outside the arcade.

"Next time Karine chooses our Friday night out, I'm going to pretend I'm sick," Jenny declared.

"You'll love it," Karine insisted, attempting to sway her friends' opinions. "It's full of guys!"

Vicky scoffed, unimpressed. "Yeah, socially inept geeks who can't tell the difference between you and a pretty girl!"

Karine sighed. "You're also complaining that I don't come up with things to do."

"You're right," Vicky conceded, rolling her eyes. "From now on, we'll complain that you only come up with lame things to do."

As they entered the arcade, Karine was greeted warmly by the usual crowd of boys, who seemed genuinely happy to see her. Jenny and Vicky observed from nearby, intrigued by the scene unfolding before them.

"Karine has friends?" Jenny remarked, genuinely surprised. "And they're guys, too!"

Vicky gestured with a spin of her finger around her temple, indicating their disbelief. "I knew in a place like this there could only be nutcases!"

"Are you here alone?" one of the boys asked Karine, showing interest.

"No, I managed to convince my friends to come along," Karine replied, blushing slightly at the attention she was receiving. "They're kind of shy..."

"The main thing is that you're here!" another boy chimed in, trying to make her feel welcomed.

"Can I buy you a game?" another boy offered, eager to engage with her.

Karine accepted with a grateful smile and started playing an arcade game she was familiar with, impressing the boys with her skills.

"Hey, you're catching on quick!" the boys remarked, impressed by her performance.

"Hee! Hee!" Karine laughed, enjoying the game and the camaraderie. "My brother's got the same one on his console."

"Doesn't matter," the boys reassured her. "You're still good!"

As Karine got immersed in the game, she didn't notice the boys gradually slipping away, leaving her alone. Confused, she went in search of them.

As Karine continued to play, fully immersed in the game, she eventually emerged victorious. However, she soon realized that the boys had vanished, leaving her alone.

Confused, Karine went in search of them, only to overhear a conversation between Jenny, Vicky and one of the boys.

"I'll be right back with your cokes, girls! I just need to put a token in the blonde noodle's machine!" the boy said.

"Put in two," Vicky responded. "She'll leave us alone longer!"

Much later, as they exited the arcade, Vicky and Jenny found Karine sitting alone on the sidewalk, her back to the arcade, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"So, Karine, how was your evening?" Jenny asked with a giggle.

"Hmph..." Karine muttered in response.

Vicky couldn't help but laugh as well as she took a sip of her coke. "You can't say we didn't warn you this place was lame!"