3. Reunion

Bright sun streams into my window, annoyingly waking me up. I've only been home for three days and am low-key ready to return to Uni.

I groggily throw a pillow over my head, not into the idea of the sun waking me up at an unsightly hour.

I flip sides, grabbing my phone from my side table. I check my socials, not thinking much until I realize what day it is: Kid Ritz is coming back.

I haven't seen him for an entire school year. We chose different colleges; Velv and I got into Brixton, the number one performance school in the country.

Him and Orchid picked Lockes, the top law and criminal justice school every future lawyer dreams of getting in to.

Velv and I have dreamed of becoming stars, so Brixton was only ever our goal. I still remember the day we said goodbye to our home in the woods and hello to the big city.

I can't lie and say I don't consider the city my home now; the bustling streets full of life at all hours of the day contrast the quiet, woodsy life I've grown up with. However, Velv and I crave it; it's precisely the life and setting we've envisioned for ourselves, and it will remain that way for the next three years.

Being home has its perks, though. I don't have to buy food or do laundry. And being on summer break means I can sleep in. Velv and I mean serious business in that we're going to the top, and our school work reflects that.

We both finished freshman year with high honors, and will work hard to maintain our status at the top of the class.

Enough gloating on my freshman year; I can't wait to hear about Kid Ritz's! I'm sure he has many stories about being a serious student, and learning hard law stuff.

I'd never be into being tough and serious like his head, criminal investigator dad, but Kid Ritz seemed to be down for following in his footsteps.

I can only hope he hasn't gotten too serious. But hey, I admire a guy with good work ethic. Plus, I am so excited to see him again after months.

I get out of bed excitedly, showering and brushing my teeth before heading downstairs for breakfast. Velv is already sitting at the table, eating an apple as she scrolls on her phone.

Ven: "Hey, V."

Velv: "Mm."

She mutters to me, not paying me much, if any, of her attention. I don't care, pouring a bowl of cereal before munching happily across from her.

Velv: "What's got you so jazzed?"

Ven: "Kid Ritz is coming back today."

Velv looks through the open screen door in the direction of his house, humming thoughtfully. Mom walks in, holding a small basket of flowers.

Mom: "Hey, kiddo. I heard you say Kid Ritz is coming back?"

Ven: "Yeah, I have it on my phone."

Mom: "Well, I just picked these flowers from the garden. I can make a bouquet, and you can give them to him and his family as part of an invitation for them to come over tomorrow for dinner."

Velv looks through the flowers as Mom sets the basket on the table, humming happily as she goes to wash her hands.

I finish my cereal and wash the bowl before returning to my room. I open the blinds, staring toward Kid Ritz's window.

His blinds are shut, and no car is in the driveway. I guess I will have to wait a while for him to come.

I go on my phone, switching between TikTok and Instagram before I hear a low rumble of a truck riding down the gravel road.