Chapter 12

"Stay with me?" Carina asked, her tone soft and vulnerable, trying to avoid making it sound like a command. Maya looked at her with wide eyes, nodding in response.

They snuck back to the Queen's chamber late at night, hoping the darkness in the halls would keep anyone from discovering them. As they closed the door behind them, the weeks that followed were awash with the intensity of their desires intertwining. Stolen glances, secret kisses, and raw lovemaking clouded their every thought. A longing so deep that they couldn't spend more than hours apart, and when they were together, they could only go so long before the desperate need for each other's pleasure drove them to sneak away into a room to do things they could never speak of.

Nights were spent in each other's arms, skin to skin, bodies pressed together. The morning light became less and less harsh as they found new ways to be together, and the comforting thought of getting to spend every night together made up for the moments they were forced apart, forced into their roles.

Carina moaned loudly as she came undone on Maya's fingers, her pleasure almost spilling over into audible cries. The blonde quickly covered her mouth, making sure her queen's voice wouldn't carry through the walls. Only seconds later, knocks were followed by a guard's voice, "Your Majesty?" he asked, concerned about the commotion behind the closed door.

"Just a moment," Carina replied, catching her breath and composing herself. "We need to be more careful," Maya whispered, her tone laced with amusement. "Especially if you're going to be this loud," she teased, a playful glint in her eyes as Carina adjusted her clothes.

Carina chuckled softly, "I'm not the one waking the guards in the middle of the night." She knew all too well that Maya could be equally vocal, her impassioned moans sometimes startling the weary night-shift guards from their slumber.

"Besides," Carina continued, moving closer to Maya, her voice low and seductive, "don't you wonder how your name sounds coming from my lips as I come undone?" Her words were whispered so close to Maya's ear that it sent shivers down her spine. Maya's brain temporarily malfunctioned as she needed a moment to process the words that had already ignited a throbbing sensation between her legs. "That's not fair," Maya replied, her tone playful yet tinged with caution. She knew that being careless with their intimacy around the castle was already risky; letting their cries of pleasure loose would undoubtedly get them caught, no matter how well they hid. The thrill of secrecy added an extra layer of desire, but they also yearned for a private space where their passionate expressions wouldn't risk discovery, a place where they could fully let go without the constant worry of being caught.

"Are you leaving today?" Carina wondered, gently cupping Maya's cheek before tracing her ear with her fingertips, studying her delicate features. She knew Ryan had arranged for Maya to take a brief respite, and given Maya's reluctance to take any breaks for some time, her constant presence would raise suspicions if she remained at the castle.

Maya nodded, a hint of sadness in her eyes. "Come with me," she suggested, unable to bear the thought of spending the night without Carina. When she noticed the surprised look on the brunette's face, she immediately felt embarrassed, worried that she had overstepped her bounds by suggesting it. "I wish I could," Carina reassured her. However, the potential chaos her absence might cause made her hesitate.

"No one has to know," Maya said, her suggestion too tempting to resist, and the idea had already taken root in Carina's mind. "Give me a moment," she said, quickly adjusting her attire and running her fingers through her hair before stepping out of the room. Maya could hear her conversing with someone as the door closed, and then there was silence.

After a while, Maya let herself out of the office, wandering aimlessly until someone addressed her by her title. "Commander," one of the officials greeted her, "the queen has postponed her engagements for tomorrow, so your leave is extended."