Chapter 4.

Mueni's Pov.

"Mark! I'm tired, dammit I'm tired, of pretending, of loving a worthless piece of shit like you, I'm just done.", I bellowed walking down the stairs to go out for a run.

I'd never been the work out type, but being with Mark had forced me into it. I loved the way my heart thumped while I ran, loud enough it was the only thing I could hear, my breathing focused. It calmed me more than anything. Today was one if those days I needed it badly.

"Done! You know our parents wouldn't like that.", he said.

I hate how he tormented me for my devotion to my parents, after being wild practically all my whole teenage life. I'd slowed down when id become an ambitious woman, driven to prove my parents wrong for thinking I was lost all those years. That's how I met Mark. Two Ambitious young adults growing together? Our parents were proud.

Sometimes I pitied the guy, practically the only child he'd never really grown up. Treating women the way his dad treated his mum. He got used to the outbursts, the countless demeaning he and his mum received he practically emulated his father. I wondered what my day found alluring about this family.

When I met him, he was a gentle man, and I loved the thrill he brought with him. Partying after work, he brought me to life once again, my rebellious nature could now exist without fear. I even thanked God that his parents thought him a good son, for me it was a win-win situation. We'd fallen for each other pretty quickly, chemistry and all, marching career paths. Now three years later we couldn't stomach each other. Fighting day and night and I was tired; I was at the end of the road and at this point nothing mattered for me more than my freedom.

I'd been searching for apartments on the other side of the city, much closer to Stanford Corp for weeks now. I was tired of the fighting. I needed some peace. I was finalizing the details the next day. I'd found an apartment about 10 blocks to Stanford. He thought I was kidding; he was in for a sick joke.

"You can't just leave me.", he said voice lower now.

"I can and I will. We just don't work.", I said already outside the door.

I jogged away faster before he could get to me. Jogging along my usual trail, I couldn't help but breathe in some fresh air for a minute, felt like my life was turning to a tragedy and I was letting it rot in a box. This time I didn't care about my parents; this is what I needed. I needed a change in my life. I don't know how long id been running lost in thought. Fighting the urge to change my mind. But of course, change is scary even when it was necessary, we still tried to hold on to the past. I just needed to will my self to do this. For my sanity if nothing else.

I was strolling down the park 20mins later, stretching and enjoying the morning glow. We had to be at the office at 11.am. This time it was going to be me and Nzuki. Briefing on how our teams were progressing. Checking the time, I headed for the closest café to get some coffee.

Nzuki's Pov.

Todays' workout was slow. I didn't have the energy; I'd somehow forced myself to get out of bed. The day seemed a little gloomy and I wasn't most enthusiastic about today's meeting. Just me and Mueni. I hated it. Not that it mattered we'd been okay around each other since the first day so maybe it wouldn't be so bad. But why the hell was I feeling so low.

Doing one last rep of bicep curls I gave up altogether, gathered my stuff and headed for the locker rooms. Freshening a little I walked out, feeling slightly better when the sun hit my cooling body. The gym was only 3 blocks away from my place so I run all the way to make up for the missed-out work out.

Opening the door I was met with an annoyed woman.

"You left the lights on. Why?? You know weekends are my resting time. I couldn't go back to sleep.", she said.

"I'm sorry I was in a hurry. I forgot.", I said cooly.

Walking past her to the bathroom, I took a quick shower, cleaned my locs and dressed up lightly. Black shorts and a black t-shirt, locks in a bun and my slides. Today was not an official work day and it was a little warm anyway, my body needed to breathe.

I was already late, I always liked to be at the office 20mins earlier and now it was ten minutes to 11.am, granted it was not a work day I shouldn't care, but I didn't like tardiness, anything but that. Taking my bike would only be 5mins so I rushed to the basement, leaving an annoyed Ty to fend for herself, I would make things right later, well after the date that she practically forced me to saying I was too uptight these days and I needed to have a little fun. When did she become so okay with me making messes, maybe she missed the drama and I wasn't up for it. But to please her I decided I would at least try.

I arrived at the office to find my gorgeous nightmare awaiting. I didn't hate her, or loath her, she just reminded me of a past id worked so hard to run from. Id made amends with myself and seeing her around was arousing a lot emotion I didn't like. Just like the first time her presence was causing chaos everywhere. For some reason though she seemed different, that fire was dimmer in her eyes today and something inside me twitched in anger. The one thing that drew me to her was that twinkle in her eye and now she didn't have it.

"Mind your business remember!", the voice of reason said in my head.

"You should try to know her this time, get over the guilt mahn, she's here again", another voice said in my head, this one foreign and I didn't like it. That was the same voice that dug me in the hole the first time.

"Shut up!", I said a little too forcefully.

"What??", startled by a sweet voice, I looked around realizing id said that out loud. Stepping into the room.

"Nothing, I'm sorry, Did I keep you waiting for long??", I asked walking around the table and pulling the chair opposite hers.

"No, not really, well maybe but youre right on time, I came earlier to do a little prepping.", she said.

"Well okay, shall we get started?", I asked taking a seat.

"Sure thing."

"... and well we are working on how to represent the data, especially where calculating is required... Nzuki! Nzuki!", she was saying.

Startled again I turned to find her looking at me intently.

"I'm sorry, I'm just a little off today. Can we reschedule this for tomorrow evening I don't think I'm in the right head space.", I said sorry for letting my shit ruin the meeting. I felt guilty but truth is I needed to get myself right.

"Sure.", she said quietly.

"I'll see you tomorrow. My place to make up for this? I'll make dinner.", I said hoping this would at least make up for my unprofessionalism.

I stood up slowly heading for the door.

"You know I'm up for resolving what happened. Seems like its sipping into our work and I don't think that's good.", I heard her say while I opened the door.

Turning around slightly I looked her in the eye, "I don't think there's anything to resolve, I messed up back then and I'm sorry I did that to you, you helped me become a better person, but there's nothing to resolve."

Turning to leave again I heard her voice, "Seems like there is to me."

I stood a minute thinking of something to say, but instead walked away leaving the door swinging behind me. I needed to breathe, whatever was making me so unstable I needed to fix it. ASAP. My dreams were staring me in the face and I wouldn't let this ruin it. The date with Ty's friend would have to wait another day. She was going to hate me for this but she'd understand. Things weren't going my way and I didn't like losing control like this.