| chosen family

It's increasingly obvious something is happening between Jungwoo and Jaewon

It's increasingly obvious something is happening between Jungwoo and Jaewon. Even more so than usual. Yearning gazes turn into soft lingering looks and Jaewon starts coming to the cafeteria for lunch break again. The rings under his eyes don't fade, but he smiles more often and talks with a bit more energy. Jungwoo grins at him over the table like they share a secret. Jaehyun waits to say something though, in case they haven't gotten that far. He would hate to mess it up for them when they've been dancing around each other for ages already. To each their own pace, he guesses.

He tries to apply that maxim to himself. He takes his time with The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, a book that feels so scandalous to read. Sometimes, he's too paranoid to take it out of its shelf and stares at the spine for a full ten minutes looking as if he's been hypnotized. Sometimes, he takes it with him to his table on the second floor in the library and later puts it back without any progress. The pull he feels towards this book scares him. He's never wanted to do something that much. Scratch that, he's never wanted something that much.

His heart feels lighter when he finds it in him to continue reading. Most of the chapters so far haven't been very long, so he gets through the first third with terrifying ease. It's — confusing, without having the first book, but it's fun, it's absurd and yet so simply straight to the point. The writing is witty and the jokes have him biting into his sleeve in order to not let his laughter burst into the heavy silence all around him.

He never liked reading very much, but this is different. Maybe school just ruined it for him before he could start to find the joy in it.

It's been two weeks? three? when multiple things interrupt his back and forth between the fear and allure he feels towards The Restaurant.

One. Jaewon asks him during chemistry class if he can join him in the library today. Completely out of the blue.

Two. Jaewon looks at him funny when he admits to people-watching and that he doesn't do very much when he's there anyway. There it comes again, that choking sensation in his throat when he realizes for the bazillionth time that Jaewon is the boy who cares about school and actually deserves his good grades between the two of them. God, he wishes he had his drive and goals.

Three. He catches Jaewon planting a kiss onto Jungwoo's forehead at the school main entrance, so disgustingly sweet that he is torn between wanting to gag, take a picture to have blackmail material and tackle them into a congratulatory hug.

Four. There are three people sitting around the table on the second floor now, because Jungwoo has decided to come along as well. Lovesick fool.

"So, what's your plan?" he asks, turning to Jaewon who is looking around with wide eyes, like he's under some spell that makes even the bleak white walls sparkle with wonder and rainbows. He snaps back to his senses to meet Jaehyun's eyes.

"My plan?"

"Your agenda. Stuff you want to get done. The reason you're here with me today for the very first time."