Chapter Six - Left For Dead

Foster made her way towards her dad's truck, her backpack and quiver slung over her shoulder, holding her bow loosely in her left hand. She offered Carl a small smile as she walked past him, the boy grinned back at her from where he stood beside Lori. Foster was quick to toss her belongings in the passenger seat of the truck, keeping only her hunting knife as she walked to where Daryl leaned against the box of the truck.

"Everybody listen up," Shane shouted from where he now stood beside Rick on the opposite side of the semi-circle of vehicles. Foster leaned against the truck, mimicking her father's posture, her arms crossed loosely over her chest, a small scowl playing on her lips as she listened to Shane speak. "Those of you with CBs, we're gonna be on channel 40. Let's keep the chatter down, okay? Now you got a problem, don't have a CB, can't get a signal or anything at all, you're gonna hit your horn one time. That'll stop the caravan." Everyone nodded in understanding, eyes glued to Shane. "Any questions?"

"We're, uh... We're not going," Morales spoke up, his arm wrapped around his wife's shoulders. Foster's head tilted to the side slightly as she observed the family.

"We have family in Birmingham. We want to be with our people," Morales's wife spoke up, holding their youngest daughter tightly. Foster's stomach dropped. The group kept getting smaller. She frowned, they wouldn't survive alone, it was impossible in this world.

"You go on your own, you won't have anyone to watch your back," Shane said, shrugging his shoulders as he turned his attention to them.

"We'll take the chance," Morales said as he nodded, grasping his wife's hand, "I got to do what's best for my family."

"You sure?" Rick asked. Foster noticed the bags under Rick's eyes. No one had slept well in the last day and a half but he seemed to look exceptionally tired.

"We talked about it," Morales answered with a tight smile, "We're sure."

"All right," Rick said softly, turning his eyes to Shane, "Shane." Daryl sighed, uncrossing his arms to wrap an arm lazily around Foster's shoulders, giving her a tight squeeze as both cops dug through the bag of guns.

"Yeah, all right," Shane muttered, "357?"

"Yeah," Rick mumbled as he pulled out a handgun and a box of bullets, "The box is half full.

"Thank you all... for everything," Morales's wife said tearfully as Lori moved to give her a hug.

"Good luck, man," Shane sighed, shaking Morales's hand.

"Appreciate it," Morales said softly.

"Bye," Sophia cried as she hugged Morales's daughter. The girl looked up to Foster with tearful eyes as she let go of Sophia. Foster stood straighter, giving her a friendly smile and a wave. They had never really gotten to know each other, Foster didn't even know her name, but that was probably for the best. The family made their way around the group, shaking hands and giving hugs as they said their goodbyes.

"Channel 40 if you change your minds," Rick said, gently gripping Morales's shoulder. Morales nodded curtly, smiling at Rick before leading his family towards their vehicle.

"What makes you think our odds are any better?" Shane scoffed quietly to Rick, Foster barely hearing him before he shouted, "Come on. Let's go. Let's move out!" Daryl squeezed Foster once more before letting go of her and walking around to the driver's side of the truck. Foster watched silently as Morales and his family drove down the quarries' gravel road, watched as they drove away and wouldn't be seen again. Foster frowned before climbing into the passenger seat of Daryl's truck.

Foster sat silently in the passenger seat, her head resting against the window as she watched the trees and powerlines fly by. She held her copy of The Fellowship of the Ring in both hands, playing silently with Carl's bookmark. She turned her attention to her dad who had one hand lazily on the steering wheel, leaning his head on his other hand as he drove.