04. happy reunions and trust issues

𓆩 chapter four 𓆪

happy reunions and trust issues

VIOLET'S EYES WIDEN at the mention of her name, a flash of fear crossing her face

Jack's eyes, a lighter blue than my own, lock onto mine, daring me to flinch. But I hold his gaze as he leans in closer, sniffing at me like a dog. Eventually, he scoffs and steps back, disgust twisting his features. He turns on his heel and stalks off into the courtyard, disappearing into the crowd of celebrating cadets and riders.

"What a weirdo," Violet says.

I turn my focus back to her, relief flooding through me as I take in her rain-soaked form. "I knew you'd make it," I say, a smile breaking through the tension as I pull her into a hug. She lets out a soft groan of pain, and I step back immediately, my smile fading to concern. "What's wrong?"

Violet takes a step back,  trying to hide the discomfort etched on her face. "I'm fine," she insists, but her knees wobble, and she nearly collapses. I move forward to catch her, but she pushes my hand away, managing to steady herself.

"I'm really fine," she says, her voice slightly unsteady. She takes a deep breath and steadies herself, though her discomfort is hard to miss. "Just need a moment."

I watch her closely, ready to offer support if she needs it.

"I think you made an enemy there," the redhead says, casually shifting the lethal crossbow she wears strapped along her shoulder. She glances at me over the scroll, a shrewd look in her hazel eyes as she looks me up and down. "I'd watch your back with that one if I were you."

I nod. Mine, and Violet's.

The next candidate approaches from the parapet just as someone's hand grips Violet's shoulders and spins her around. My fingers tighten around the hilt of my blade, only to relax when I see it's just Rhiannon, her face lit up with a wide grin.

"We made it!" She grins, squeezing Violet's shoulders.

Violet forces a smile, though it doesn't quite reach her eyes. "We made it."

Rhiannon shifts so that she's now facing the both of us. "I can't thank you two enough. There were at least three times I would have fallen off if you guys hadn't helped me. You were right—those soles were slick as shit."

"Violet helped you, not me," I say flatly, sliding my dagger back into its sheath.

Rhiannon looks taken aback for a moment, her smile faltering. Violet shoots me a sideways glance, but I can only shrug in response.

"Anyway, have you seen the people around here?" Rhiannon says, swiftly shifting topics. "I swear I just saw a second-year with pink streaks in her hair, and one guy has dragon scales tattooed all the way up his biceps."