Chapter 4: First Meeting Part 1

The breeze from an unknown place feels colder compared to the warmth of a place you're familiar with. Change is inevitable and it incorporates fear to some people.

I got off the car and looked at the building in front of me. I am wearing the same uniform as the people passing in front of me but they are all complete strangers. They greeted their friends they met at the gates and happily entered the school shoulder to shoulders. All boys wore the same clothing as I. The only difference are our shoes and accessories. The girls wore skirts and a teacher is at the gate holding a thin stick which she uses to point at the knees of the girls who pulled their skirts up exposing much of their legs. The girls who were apprehended pulled their skirts down covering their knees. But once they passed the teacher, they pulled their skirts up once again. The boys are also thoroughly checked. Boys who haven't properly buttoned up their polos are reprimanded. Folded pants are also prohibited.

Grandma got off the car, too and walked in front of me. She pretended to fix my already iron pressed polo and dusted a non-existent dust on my shoulder. She cupped my face and said in a soft voice, "You will be okay. Let's start another life together. Hm?"

I looked at her sad and worried eyes and uttered, "Hm."

"Okay. Let's go." She clasped my hand and led me into the building.

The school is quite big. One glance and you'll know it is a school for the elites. We walked at the hallways and several students ran and messed around. Some looked at us curiously and the others don't care.

We entered a room full of professionally clothed individuals. My grandma greeted them before entering. As we passed by the first few cubicles, I felt the people sitting on them followed us with their gazes.

"Mrs. Mendez, nice to see you", greeted an elderly upright woman. Her hair is tied in a bun and not a strand hangs over her face. Her clothes are just like mine, ironed and pressed flat, wrinkles are non-existent. She wore a genuine and welcoming smile.

My grandma curved her lips upward attempting to smile but tiredness and sadness can be seen in her eyes, "Nice to see you too, Mrs. Thomas. It's been a while."

"I'm so sorry for your loss', the elderly woman said.

Grandma shook her head as a sign she doesn't want to talk about it.

Being sensible, the woman stopped talking about the topic. "This way please", the elderly woman led us to another room.

We sat down on a couch and I subtly looked around.

On the table was a nameplate that read 'Ailene Thomas' at the top and 'School Head' at the bottom. Big bookshelves surrounded the room and a pile of papers were messily placed at the table.

I looked at Mrs. Thomas and figured out she was my grandma's age. Both women are wearing light make-ups and even though they're old, their beauty can't still be hidden.

The school head seemed to smile a lot as wrinkles formed at the side of his nose and lips. She's the complete opposite embodiment of terror school heads or principals seen in movies and dramas.

The two talked about school formalities and my transfer. I remained quiet on my seat and waited for them to finish their discussion. After sometime my grandma was obliged to sign some papers. After the discussion of my transfer, the two talked about their personal affairs, catching up with each other. Time to time, my grandma would glance at me.

"He's a good kid. He's sociable and affable. It's just that after everything that's happened, he started to lose his smile", my grandma whispered, thinking that I couldn't hear her.