Chapter 10: Third Day of Sports

"What are you doing?", I asked again. My voice turned soft and it seemed like I was whispering.

"Reconciliation hug", Kyle replied.

As soon as I heard those words, I stopped fretting and succumbed into his embrace. I could hear his heart beating. I closed my eyes as I listened.

This is not the first time that we hugged. We did many times in the past. Grandma urged us to hug whenever we fought and she even had a term for it, reconciliation hug.

Even when we had our very first big fight when we were in senior high, it ended with a hug. After not being successful with the set up of Kyle and Annabelle's date at that prom night, Kyle and I did not talk to each other for days. We lived in one room but we pretended like the other doesn't exist. At the end, I couldn't take our friendship being broken so I cried while sitting on the couch at the living room. Kyle was shocked at the sight and tried to coax me. We hugged and the problem was solved. We returned to our usual selves.

After three years, and once again we reconciled with a hug.

I softly pushed Kyle away when I felt my feet getting cramps because of my position.

"You have to remember that this one is your fault", I complained.

"Hm?"

"You were the one who started the fight. You shouted at me out of nowhere."

"Oh? But you were the one who did not keep your promise."

"Didn't I explain the reason to you? You really did not have to embarrass me"

He looked at me and sighed, "Fine. I'm sorry"

"I really don't get it. You don't get angry easily."

"It's already over. Let's not talk about it."

"How could we not talk about it? I'm still upset." I crossed my arms and leaned back on the couch.

"Oh? I thought we're already good?"

"We are. But I'm still upset! You called my mug useless!"

"When did I..."

I shifted my position in order to face him, "You said it was JUST a mug!"

He stayed quiet for a moment.

"Well, if it's not, then, is it a magic mug?"

I widened my eyes in surprise. I slapped his arm in anger.

He chuckled.

His chuckle is such music to the ears. I don't know why but I like seeing him laughing and smiling as he looks at me. I suddenly want to be greedy. I want to be the only one to see him like this.

"You're sleeping on the couch?", I asked.

"Hm."

"Tsk. Didn't you hear what Aunt Fey say? You'll get body sore."

"I won't."

I pulled his blanket and embraced it like it was a teddy bear. "I won't let you. Aunt will scold me once she finds out you slept on the couch." I stood up and carried the blanket to his room.

"Tyler", he said in a whisper. "I really think I have to sleep on the couch."

I looked back at him. "What? You find me disgusting now?"

He softly sighed, "It's not like that."

"Then what? You're still awkward because of the fight?"

"No." He looked at me and said nothing more.