The Capitan and the Boy

A dark, gray fog hovered just above the dark waters

 A dark, gray fog hovered just above the dark waters. The sky overhead was like a sheet of dark heavy cotton, unmoving and impenetrable. There was no sun to be seen, and the air hung heavy with salty moisture. The sounds of seagulls calling out for food, or mates filled the air. The sea stretched out farther than eyes could see in all directions.

It was too early for the sailors, most were still too groggy to speak loudly, and so the ship sailed on the quiet waters like a ghost. The Captain stood quietly on the deck observing the quiet waters.

"Captain Navarro, sir, another storm's coming. Should we change our bearings sir?" The Capitan paused to consider the question, but before he could answer he heard a faint plea for help ringing in the early morning air. So quiet he thought he imagined it. He took a small step closer to the railing and looked out at the dull gray horizon.

"Sir?" The sailors asked again but Edwardo held up a finger to shut him up.

"Listen... Can you hear that?"

Another distant cry for help echoed in the foggy air.

"Someone's out there. I want lights on the water. Find the poor soul." He quickly ordered and walked to the helm.

At his order men started to quickly light the lamps, trying to illuminate the gray waters as best as they could in the darkness of that cloudy early morning.

It wasn't long before the crew spotted a boy adrift in the sea, clinging to a shattered fragment of wood that moved atop the undulating waters.

"There! Cap'n!" One of the sailors pointed to the boy. At Captain's order men rushed around and the boy was heaved up into the ship, shivering in the crisp morning air.

The Captain rushed down to the main deck to check out the boy they had rescued. "Out of my way!" He shouted, his Spanish accent thickening in his impatience. The sailors quickly stepped aside for their Captain and he took in the sight of the young boy.

He was young, thirteen maybe fourteen, thin, but tanned from the days in the sun. His messy dark brown hair reached his shoulders. An old red bandana covered his forehead and part of his eyebrows. His chocolate brown eyes, innocent yet twinkling with young mischief. Just the way his daughter's eyes shone. The thought of his Mariana made his heart squeeze painfully. She must be around the same age as this boy now, maybe younger.

But what took his attention the most was a half melted coin on a chain around his neck. A skull etched on it, very visible to the naked eye. This boy without a doubt is a pirate.

"Who are you boy?" He asked as he kneeled beside him.

"My name's Jack. Our ship went down last night sir." He replied, his voice, much like his body shaking, perhaps from both the cold and fear.

Jack looked up at the men surrounding him, his mind running, trying to decide if it would be safer to just jump off the railing before it's too late.

He wasn't stupid, he knew this was a merchant ship. He knew they were either Spanish, British or a weird combination of both and from the looks of it, this ship was definitely a mixture of both. He knew what happens to the kind of him when they are spotted by anyone who isn't a pirate or an ally to pirates.